in/on a wheelchair

Discussion in 'English Only' started by klaudek626, Dec 13, 2012.

1. klaudek626 Senior Member

polski
    Hello!

Is it incorrect to use on before a wheelchair?

Thanks for help.

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Can you give us some context, including a complete sentence, please, klaudek?

3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    The usual usage is in. On may not technically be an error, since we sit on ordinary chairs, but it would sound odd.

4. klaudek626 Senior Member

polski
    The whole sentence: He started to train on/in a wheelchair.

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'm sorry, klaudek, that sentence doesn't - in isolation - make very much sense to me:(. Where did you find it?

6. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    I'd say the difference lies in the arms. I sit on a dining chair (no arms), but in an armchair, and therefore in a wheelchair. I suppose you might say that a sofa has arms, and that we sit on a sofa — but then no one person sits enclosed by both arms, so the principle of being enclosed within the arms (or not) still holds.
    My guess is that the person concerned has started to undergo training in the use of a wheelchair. There again, it could be training for a handi-sport [Edit: See #8] ... so as you say, Loob, not very clear.

Ws:)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    To me it sounds like something one would write about an athlete, perhaps a runner, who lost the use of his/her legs and began to train for wheelchair competitions. This is an example of why we need real context - not just the words before and after. What is the topic that is discussed here? Can you give us a link to the source? Please don't keep this a secret - we want to help!

8. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    Oops!:eek: Thanks, Egmont, for making me realise that the term handi-sport isn't English. It's used all the time in French ... for what you've just described.

Ws:)

9. klaudek626 Senior Member

polski
    Hehe:) Egmont, I'm sorry for being so mysterious:)
    More or less the context is just as u said. There was a guy who had an accident and due to spine injury had to start using a wheelchair to move around. Later he started training for the Olympics on/in his wheelchair. I think that earlier he was a sportsman but after the accident have to train on/in a wheelchair. According to what wordsmyth has said it should be in, am I right? Unfortunately, I can't give here a link because I read this sentence some time ago in my friend's notebook for English classes and there was on.