1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

In / on your phone

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Chazz, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Chazz Senior Member

Dutch
    Hi,

Do you say:

How did you list me on / in your phone?

Thanks.

2. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    "in your phone" suggests that an object is physically inside it.

I would say 'on'.

3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Hm. I have to disagree with Biffo.

I speak of having a contact list in my cell phone. I also have an address list in my e-mail program.

I don't think it's necessary for something "in" something else to be a physical object.

4. Sparky Malarky Senior Member

Indiana
    English - US
    On the other hand, "I have him on my phone" means "I have called him, and I have a phone connection with him now." "I have him in my phone" means "I have his information stored in my phone on my list of contacts."

5. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I wonder if other Brits agree with me about "on"?

Maybe it's just me!

6. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    :thumbsup:

But AmE and BrE vary greatly when it comes to in/on. We've seen this quite a few times in/on these forums. ;)

7. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    Or me using in... The info is in(side) the 'phone, not on the surface of it...

GF..

Now don't start any discussion about the physics of how things actually work in a 'phone at the component level....

8. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Looking back at the original question I believe it was the fact that the word 'list' was mentioned that made me want to use "on". For me items are usually placed 'on' a list.

However I now realise that the sentence "How did you list me ... your phone?" is rather odd anyway. I don't really know what it means.