In one of the stars I shall be living

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by La Bionda, Jun 1, 2008.

1. La Bionda Senior Member

Nottingham
    German (Living in England)
    Dear all,

I am sorry for not posting this in French, however my French is not yet up to the fluency to ask this in French.

I am looking for a quote from the Little Prince in French. In English, the phrase from the book goes:
    "On one of the stars I will be living."

Can someone help me please? I would really appreciate that.

Merci!

Moderator note: two related threads have been merged together.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    If I'm not mistaken the line you mean is here:

Quand tu regarderas le ciel, la nuit, puisque j'habiterai dans l'une d'elles, puisque je rirai dans l'une d'elles, alors ce sera pour toi comme si riaient toutes les étoiles.

3. La Bionda Senior Member

Nottingham
    Thank you.
    If the sentence "On one of the stars I will be living." would be translated literally into French, how would it read instead?
    Thank you very much again. :)

4. CDHMontpellier

CDHMontpellier Senior Member

Bristol, UK
    USA-English
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Since Le Petit Prince was written in French (and therefore the English is a translation), and mgarizona has given you the original sentence, what could be better? :)

5. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    All the quotations I found from Little Prince say In one of the stars I shall be living, but it doesn't really change the current question...

The litteral translation for On one of the stars I will be living would read Sur l'une des étoiles, je vivrai.

6. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    Just a thought, but there's another line from the same section that might serve your purpose (whatever that might be):

Mon étoile, ça sera pour toi une des étoiles.

Which in English shd be something like "My star will be one among the stars to you."

That's kind of like declaring that you'll live on a star, no?

7. La Bionda Senior Member

Nottingham
    Hi

Apologies for the confusion. You are right in that the original reads "In one of ths stars I shall be living."
    Since my French is not that great yet, I think I get confused since I do not seem to see the word 'star' in the French sentence....Therefore my questions since I would like the word in that sentence. :)

Thank you for the alternative which is beautiful, too.

Thank you also for your help and sorry again.

PS: This is as part of a special present to my partner. :eek:

8. La Bionda Senior Member

Nottingham
    Hi,

After all your help on getting the quote from the Little Prince, I now have come up with a slight adaption and would like to know if this is correct before I write it out (I would not want to make mistakes as it is a permanent print :))

'J'habiterai dans l'une des etoiles; Je rirai dans l'une des etoiles.'

Merci!
    :)

9. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    You had better remind us, who are not familiar with the original thread through which you "got the quote", what the original French was first, and why you wish to alter such a perfect little literary gem. An abridged simplified version for francophone tiny tots, perhaps? The French text of "Le Petit Prince" though forbidden for a while has now reappeared in more than one site on the web.

10. FAC13

FAC13 Senior Member

English, UK
    The original was "... dans l'une d'elles". In the version I'm looking at anyway.

Edit: so I guess it's ok but don't forget the acute accent on étoiles.

11. La Bionda Senior Member

Nottingham
    Merci - to you all for your help! :)
    I will remember the acute accent - I just did not have the key on my key board. Thank you for reminding me though ;)

12. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Look at the "sticky" threads at the top of each French forum. One of them deals with accents and how to type them on English keyboards.