In one's eyes (according to one's subjective opinion)

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by tFighterPilot, Jun 6, 2014.

1. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Do many languages have this expression? I wonder if it's originated from Hebrew.

It appears multiple times in the bible, for example "הֲלוֹא אִם-קָטֹן אַתָּה בְּעֵינֶיךָ, רֹאשׁ שִׁבְטֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל אָתָּה" - “Although you were once small in your own eyes, did you not become the head of the tribes of Israel?" (1 Samuel 15 17).

In modern Hebrew it's quite common as well. Mostly the different forms of "מוצא חן בעיניו x" (x finds grace in his eye) which simply means he likes x.

What about your language?

2. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    We do use it in Greek «στα δικά μου μάτια» [sta ði'ka mu 'matça] --> in my own eyes.
    For instance when someone has doubts about someone or something and expresses these doubts, his/her interlocutor might answer back with «στα δικά μου μάτια» you are wrong", or, «στα δικά μου μάτια» you exaggerate things" etc.
    But...
    I'm not sure it's biblical (or from Hebrew); in the Greek Bible (LXX) the verse you've quoted, was translated into Koine Greek by the 72 Hebrew Scholars as: «οὐχὶ μικρὸς εἶ σὺ ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ ἡγούμενος σκήπτρου φυλῆς ᾿Ισραήλ;» (1 Kings 15:17) --> Weren't thou little before thine self [and made] the head of the tribes of Israel?
    No mention of eyes in the Greek Septuagint.

3. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    Hi, tFighterPilot. I don't think we have an expression equivalent to yours in Vietnamese. Actually, we have one but it only appears in the bible. Our expression looks like a literal translation from English into Vietnamese and it does not make much sense to me.
    1 Samuel 15 17 :
    Sa-mu-ên nói rằng: "lúc ngươi còn nhỏ trong mắt ngươi, ngươi há chẳng trở nên đầu trưởng của các chi phái Y-sơ-ra-ên sao ?

4. ilocas2 Senior Member

It exists in Czech.

f. e.
    v mých očích (in my eyes)
    v tvých očích (in your eyes)
    v jeho očích (in his eyes)
    v našich očích (in our eyes)
    v Petrových očích (in Petr's eyes)
    v očích mámy (in eyes of mum)
    etc.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  5. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    In Turkish it's gözümde, gözünde, etc ... (in my eyes, in his eyes, etc)

6. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    What about Numbers 11 (10, 11, 15) or 1 Kings (or 3 Kings, seems like Samuel is sometimes counted in) 11 6? I tried to use google translated, but it seems like it's not too good with ancient Greek.

I have found the phrase "před očima tvýma" in Bible Kralická (which was apparently translated from Hebrew) in Numbers 11 (and it seems to exist in other places as well). I wonder if it was introduced into Czech then or perhaps it already existed beforehand and thus could be used for the translation.

7. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    The word used in all these verses is the adv. «ἐνώπιον» ĕnṓpiŏn --> in the face, face-to-face < compound; prefix, preposition and adverb «ἔν» én --> in, within (PIE *h₁en-, in cf Lat. in > It. in, Fr./Sp. en, Por. em, Rom. în; Proto-Germanic *in > Ger. in, Eng. in, Dt. in, Isl. í, D./Nor./Swe. i) + «ὤψ» ṓps (with disputed gender; it appears as masc. fem. or neut. depending on writer; in Modern Greek «όψη» ['opsi] (fem.) --> countenance) --> face, countenance, eye from PIE root *h₃ekʷ-, to see cf Skt. अक्षि (akṣi), eye, front side; Lat. oculus > It. occhio, Sp. ojo, Por. olho, Fr. œil, Rom. ochi)

8. catlady60

catlady60 Senior Member

Pennsylvania (20mi/36km from the Poconos
    English-US (New York City)
    In English: in my book or in my opinion.

9. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, 'à mes yeux' (literally: to my eyes) can be used but I would say that 'à mon avis (to my opinion), selon moi, d'après moi (according to me),...' are more common.
    I would mainly use it in a sentence like 'À mes yeux, tu es la plus belle/le plus fort/...' (you are the most beautiful woman/the strongest man/...).

10. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    Chinese: 在X眼中 zài X yǎn zhōng - In X's eyes

11. Словеса Senior Member

Русский
    There is an expression «на мои глаза» in Russian. I met it only once, in "War and Peace". Beautiful and makes sense.
    It is composed this way: the preposition means "sur" in French, the case of the noun ("yeux") is accusative, so the entire construction implies a direction rather than a place: "for my eyes".

12. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Apologies for quoting myself but I'm afraid I made a serious mistake, the ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ is actually before him and not ἐνώπιον αυτοῦ before thine self

13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: we can use 'In mijn ogen' but it is not very common, it seems to me...

14. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    I would guess it's originated from Hebrew, since the Statenvertaling was translated straight from Hebrew, and does indeed use this phrase. ("toen ge klein waart in uw ogen", "en hebt gedaan dat kwaad was in de ogen des HEEREN?" etc). This also explains why it's not in common use.

15. Holger2014 Senior Member

German
    German has this expression as well - in meinen Augen - but it doesn't seem to be used as frequently as aus meiner Sicht ('from my point of view'), for instance.

16. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    We have the similar phrase 眼中で(ganchu- de/lit. inside of one's eyes) as Chinese does but it doesn't mean in my opinion[view] like English. When we want to say this meaning, we do like:
    私的には watashi tekiniha lit.to me
    私に言わせてもらうと watashi ni iwasete morauto lit.to let me say [this]
    私が思うに watashi ga omouni lit.to my thought

Sometimes we say 眼中にない(ganchuu ni nai) : lit.out of one's sight[inside of one's eyes], meaning:I don't give a sxxt, I don't care if someone is in my sight

17. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian --- az én szememben [ az the, én I, szem eye, ben in]