In regards to

Discussion in 'English Only' started by night owl, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. night owl Member

Cali, Colombia

I am looking for any synonyms of the expression "in regards to", as in "concerning to" such and such subject..

Thank you very much.
  2. 'Regarding', 'concerning (delete 'to')', 'a propos', 'vis a vis', 'in re (a legal term)', 'about'.

3. essdn New Member

"relating to"
  4. El escoces Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    English - UK
    One of my biggest bugbears, in regards to!

My preferences are "regarding" and "with regard to..."

"As regards..." is also a possibility, depending on the context.

"Relating to" isn't quite synonymous, in my view: "Dear Sir, Regarding your complaint, we have investigated and...." In that sentence, "with regard to" and "as regards" are also possibility, but not "relating to" - although "in relation to" would in fact work.

EDIT: it seems to me that "as regards" is usually used in continuation of an existing text; you have dealt with one item and, turning to the next one, you would begin, "As regards...." To that extent, "as regards" is perhaps not such a good option in my "Dear Sir.." example, but the phrase occurs at the start of the letter.
  5. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    Just a reminder that when used in this phrase, there is no -s attached to it, thus the phrase is "with regard to" and "in regard to".

See here for further discussion
  6. El escoces Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    English - UK
    But that's WHY it's one of my bugbears, WestSideGal - unfortunately people do frequently misuse the expression in that way, at least in BE.
  7. wholegrain Senior Member

in regard to
    adj : referring or directing attention to; "as to what we have discussed..."; "in relation to your inquiry..."; "income vis-a-vis expenditures" [syn: as to, concerning, in relation to, regarding, vis-a-vis, with reference to , with regard to, with respect to]
  8. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    Ahh, yes. I'm no great linguist or grammarian, but it do have a few pet peeves when it comes to words and phrases and this is one of them.

Take care!;):p
  9. robjc123 New Member

English = Irish American also Spanish
    relating to or about..

I'm calling about my car. I'm calling in regard to my car. etc..

About last night. In regard to last night.

- and as others have said when you say in regard to you never put an S. If you do people would know you weren't in the college prep classes in high school.
  10. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Requests for synonyms, equivalents or lists are not permitted, so I am closing this thread (and it will shortly be deleted). See the following rule:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.