1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

in the most favorable light

Discussion in 'English Only' started by congquoc, Mar 18, 2012.

1. congquoc Junior Member

Vietnamese
    could anyone help me to understand meaning of the phrase " in the most favorable light" in the context:
    " In the most favorable light, the array of valuation methods: discounted cash flow, value of the companys assets if sold separately, multiples of revenue or EBITDA, comparable transactions, and other methods, is necessary to give bankers latitude to use the most appropriate valuation methodology for the transaction and industry."

thanks

2. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
    "In the most favourable (BE) light" means "when the situation is viewed in the most favourable (or advantageous) way possible".

3. congquoc Junior Member

Vietnamese
    thanks, DocPenfro, so can i say that this phrase is the same expression of "in a perfect world"?

4. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
    They have a similar feel to them, as both convey the sense of optimism. However, since we do not live in a perfect world, any use of this phrase is hypothetical and utopian.
    "In a perfect world there would be no hunger or disease."

"In the most favourable light ..." is a rather one-sided interpretation of events in the real world.
    "If we look at it in the most favourable light, the invasion of Iraq was a noble achievement since it overthrew the tyrannical government of Saddam Hussein."

5. congquoc Junior Member

Vietnamese
    I absolutely got it . Thanks for your kindly help.