In vs. Im

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by sn3, Dec 3, 2005.

1. sn3 New Member

United States - English
    I am a German I student and I have a question about the use of in and im. I was going to ask my teacher but she was out the day I was going to ask. I have a project due in a few days (I won't see her until the project is due) and I was wondering if anyone can help me. When do you use in and when do you use im? For example, would it be:
    Ich wohne im mein Traumhaus im Winter, Herbst, Sommer, und Frühling.
    Ich wohne in mein Traumhaus im Winter, Herbst, Sommer, und Frühling.
    How do you know when to use im and when to use in?
    Another example:
    Der Wandschrank ist groß und ist im das Badezimmer.
    Der Wandschrank ist groß und ist im das Badezimmer.
    Thanks for your help!
  2. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch

The word "im" is a compound of "in" and "dem", because every time you want to use "in" plus the masculine or neuter definite article, you need to merge these two words:

Ich bin in dem Haus = Ich bin im Haus.

"im" and "dem" don't match, because that would mean "in dem dem". You see? :)

It's actually like in French and Spanish: "de" and "le" usually merge to "du", "de" and "les" become "des". In Spanish we only have "a" and "el" getting "al". There's a dozen of languages using these mergences, among those German.

in + dem = im
    in + das = ins
    bei + dem = beim
    zu + dem = zum
    zu + der = zur

We simply apply the aforementioned rule. ;)

The verbose version would be "... und ist in dem Badezimmer" (you need the dative case here, because it describes a location). Using "in das Badezimmer" would imply a direction as in:

Dative: Ich bin in dem (= im) Badezimmer. (I'm [being] in the bathroom)
    Accusative: Ich gehe in das (= ins) Badezimmer. (I'm going into the bathroom.)
  3. sn3 New Member

United States - English
    Thanks! That makes sense. :)

Drawing from what you said last, I guess this:
    Ins Fremdenzimmer ist ein Bett.
    should be
    In Fremdenzimmer ist ein Bett.
    ? Would it mean into in the first sentence instead of in?

So I guess this would be correct only for the accusative case: (?)
    in + dem = im
    in + das = ins
    in + die = in

Or no?:confused:

Also, why should mein be meinen in the first example? We only learned mein and meine.

I have a few more questions, just to make sure I can do what I think I can do:

I can stick andere inbetween an article and a noun, such as in the following sentence:
    Das andere Wohnzimmer ist groß.

If I combine two nouns into one sentence, both nouns keep their articles
    Die Uhr und das Telefon sind neu.

The adjective red takes the e ending for the noun Küche even before the adjective is before the noun?
    Rote ist die Küche.

Does this sentence make sense in German?
    Mein Foyer ist weiß und es hat Treppen.
    I keep reading it and something does not sound right, but I don't know if it is just me or not.

Sorry for all of the questions! I really, really appreciate your help!!!:)
  4. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    Hi!! I'll help with the first part, I don't want tto tell you something wrong:

Hope this helps
  5. sm89 New Member

As a German, I hope my English is correct. :)

Yes. As you have learned by now (;)), ins is a compound of in + das. After the preposition in two cases are possible: the dative and the accusative. In + dative means "in" (location), in + accusative means "into" (direction). Fremdenzimmer is a neuter word, so it is declined das Fremdenzimmer (nominative), des Fremdenzimmers (genitive), dem Fremdenzimmer (dative), das Fremdenzimmer (accusative). So, if you want to say "in the hotel room", you need the dative: im (in + dem) Fremdenzimmer. If you want to say "into the hotel room", you need the accusative: ins (in + das) Fremdenzimmer.

You can't merge in and die.
    is the dative masculine oder neuter definite article.

Possessive pronouns are declined as well. Meinem is dative singular masculine or neuter and meinen is accusative singular masculine (not neuter, that would simply be mein).

Yes, that's right. It's actually like in English ("the other living room is big").

That's right.

No, adjectives are only declined if they are used attributively (in front of the noun). When they are used predicatively (I hope this term is correct ;)), they are not. So it must be die Küche ist rot or rot ist die Küche.

Well, you could leave out es, but I don't see any mistakes there.
  6. sn3 New Member

United States - English
    Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help! :):)

Fremdenzimmer is hotel room? I thought it is guest room.

I guess we are learning the nominative case for now.

So this sentence would be correct then, if I understand you correctly:
    Der Schauer ist auch im das Badezimmer und es ist klein aber ganz.

I have another question - what if the sentence is like this:
    Mein Traumhaus ist in New Jersey, nicht weit von hier.

What would I use? New Jersey is a state in the United States; I have no clue what definite article it would take. Any ideas?

As to adjectives taking an -e ending before plural and feminine nouns, they must be right infront of the noun?
    Ich habe eine rote Küche. Would take -e ending because the adjective is right before the noun?
    Die Küche ist rot. Would not take the -e ending because the adjective is not right before the noun?

For the mein/meine/meinem rule, I could keep the sentences like this:
    Mein Schlafzimmer ist groß aber bequem.

and just have to worry about using mein or meine depending on the definite article?

Danke schön!
  7. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

It depends - you sometimes use the dative and accusative cases as well.

Something is somewhere (dative):
    in dem Schrank = im Schrank
    in der Badewanne
    in dem Haus = im Haus

Something is being moved somewhere (accusative):
    in den Schrank
    in die Badewanne
    in das Haus

You wrote "im das Badezimmer = in dem das Badezimmer", which is obviously not valid.

Please try again. :)

Additional exercises:
    I am going to the town.
    He often sleeps in the living room.
    Please put the key on the table. (Hint: preposition - auf)
    My mother is sitting in the car.
    Is everybody (=alle, plural) in the classroom?

You rarely use articles with names of places and countries.

In the nominative case yes. In other cases different endings come into the picture.

One technical remark: Please do not clutter your threads with many unrelated (or loosely related) questions. Our rules state that every question should have its own thread.

Thanks for cooperation. :)

8. sm89 New Member

Oh sorry. I was looking for an appropriate translation for Fremdenzimmer. But actually it doesn't matter, doesn't it? ;)

No. I think you want to use the dative case, so im is right. But you have to drop das because (1) the dative articel for a neuter word is dem, (2) which is already in im.

By the way, that sentence does not make much sense. I think you translated "shower" with der Schauer, but the correct word is die Dusche. And what do you mean with ganz? Ganz as an adjective means "not broken".

This sentence is perfect. Sounds quite idiomatic. You don't use articles with place names, except of certain cases like die USA or place names on -ei.

That's right.

Yes, this sentence is correct. To be precise, the use of mein or meine does not depend on the definite article, but on the gender of the word. But this is indicated by the article, so you're right in the end. ;)

You're welcome. :)
  9. sn3 New Member

United States - English
    So then it would be:
    Der Schauer ist auch ins Badezimmer und es ist klein aber ganz.
    The shower is also in the bathroom and it is small but complete. (?)

I'm sorry for putting these questions in one thread; I didn't want to blanket the forum with a bunch of stupid questions.

10. sm89 New Member

No... You have to use the dative case. What you wrote is accusative, which means "into the bathroom". You want to say Die Dusche ist im Badezimmer.

I've edited my previous post regarding this sentence, please have a look at it.
  11. sn3 New Member

United States - English
    You posted a minute before I did; I didn't see your post.

I understand it now - im is correct, as long as I remove the article before it because with the article it wouldn't make sense.

My German to English/English to German dictionary lists shower as der Schauer.

I meant to put ganz infront of another adjective (such as ganz neu), but left it out by mistake.

Thanks to you all so much for your help!
  12. sm89 New Member

Well, that's also possible, but in different cases. A Schauer is a rain shower (short-lasting rain). The shower in the bathroom is called Dusche.

I'm glad that I could help you. :)
  13. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    But you have to pay attention to the gender of "Dusche". It's fenimine:

Die Dusche ist auch im das Badezimmer und (sie) ist klein aber ganz.