In what capacity have you known the applicant

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nasridine, Jan 29, 2008.

1. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    A friend of mine who was hunting a job asked me to be one of her references. So recently, I got this reference form from one of the companies she interviewed. There is this blank "In what capacity have you known the applicant" which I don't quite understand what to put in. Does it refer to "quality" and "personality" or what?

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    It is a common and somewhat ambiguous question. It usually means one or more of the following:

1) What were the circumstances in which you have known the applicant?
    For example, did you know her from work, as a friend since childhood, or as a
    member of a choir or sports team?
    2) What was the applicant's function or employment during your acquaintance?
    For example, the applicant was one of your teachers at university, or was your piano student.

3. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    "How do you know the applicant, and what is your current relationship".

4. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    I guess your first explanation makes more sense here, because the previous question happens to be "how long have you known this applicant".
    Thanks

5. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    The hiring company will give more weight to a close relationship. Thus, if the friend is known in several capacities it would be worth while to cite all of them. Eg."I knew him during the four years we were in law school together. When I became a judge he appeared before me and we were active in the bar association together. I married him to his second wife when we were in the National Guard together."