in what was to prove a successful law

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sb70012, Jul 31, 2013.

1. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    By 1769, Boswell was established in what was to prove a successful law practice in Edinburgh and had married his cousin, Margaret Montgomerie.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, James Boswell (1740-1795)

Hello teachers,

I know the meanings of each word but I can’t understand the blue part as a whole.
    Would you please clarify it to me?

Many thanks in advance.

2. GMF1991 Senior Member

Cork, Ireland
    English (UK, Suffolk)
    "Law" actually forms part of "law practice" (so a "legal business"), which, after Boswell was established in it, ended up being successful... (although not necessarily because of Boswell).

I hope this is useful :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Thanks for answering but what does prove mean in the blue sentence?
    I know the meaning of Prove but in the blue sentence it means what?

4. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    It proved to be successful: As it turned out, or in the event, or after some time, the result was that it was successful.

5. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Thank you Entangledbank, now I got it.

6. GMF1991 Senior Member

Cork, Ireland
    English (UK, Suffolk)
    For future reference, when asking a question, if you are more precise with your question, then you'll get a more precise answer, as you did from entangledbank after you'd specified that your problem was with "prove"...

7. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    I was precise with my question. In fact I had two questions. First was the whole meaning of the blue sentence, and second was the main meaning of the word Prove.
    :thumbsup:

8. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Definition 5:

(
    copula) to be found or shown (to be): this has proved useless, he proved to be invaluable