In which hotel do you live?

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Konstantinos, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Senior Member

Athens, Greece
    Greek - Athens
    Are my following hebrew questions correct?

If I ask a male: ? באיזה מלון אתה מתגורר
    If I ask a female: ? נאיזה מלון את מתגות

2. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    almost, מתגורר is living, שוהה is staying.
    מתגוררת s for female.
    שוהה shohe is for male, shoha is for female.

3. Konstantinos

Athens, Greece
    Greek - Athens
    Thank you arielipi... (I am wondering, how many questions I will do this day and this month...)

4. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    morfix.mako.co.il
    is a great dictionary.

also feel free to ask questions, if i see fit you may get my gmail for its chat (like i once gave someone here)

5. Konstantinos

Athens, Greece
    Greek - Athens
    Thank you arielipi... I sent you pm.

6. Drink Senior Member

New England
    English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    It seems you made two typos for the feminine: באיזה מלון את מתגוררת

As for word choice, I was taught at ulpan to use "לן" (masculine) and "לנה" (feminine) as the verb for "staying at a hotel".

7. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Bahaha is my comment to the ulpan, if you want to learn the lively language and not the formal one do not use lan.

8. Drink Senior Member

New England
    I thought it might be something like that. So "שוהה" is what's in style right now?

9. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    I think so, though i cant confirm in the lesser parts of israel.

10. arbelyoni Senior Member

Hebrew
    לן (literally: spend the night) is definitely better than שוהה (literally: stay) in the formal register.
    In colloquial Hebrew I wouldn't use either of them; you are more likely to hear באיזה מלון אתם ישנים (in which hotel you sleep?) or simply באיזה מלון אתם (in which hotel are you?).

11. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Youre correct, omitted is the most common.

12. Drink Senior Member

New England
    But the one with the verb omitted could have a different meaning, for example if you are visiting a hotel that you are not staying at. And it also makes it impossible to ask the more general question "Where are you staying?" Based on what you guys have said, I assume that I should translate "Where are you staying?" informally as "איפה אתם ישנים?", is that correct?

13. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    no.

14. Drink Senior Member

New England
    Can you be more specific with your answer? Would you say "איפה אתם שוהים?" instead? (And to clarify, in English "Where are you staying?" usually implies overnight.)

15. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew

16. Drink Senior Member

New England
    So I am wrong that "באיזה מלון אתם?" could mean both "What hotel are you at (right now)?" and "What hotel are you (staying) at?"
    It makes it impossible to ask the more general question "Where are you staying?" because it would end up being nothing but "איפה אתם?", which is not a sufficient translation.

17. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    the charm and complexity of hebrew is context; its all of the above - of course - thats what you get when you omit things, thus the language becomes more context dependent.
    if im visiting a friend whos staying at a hotel and i ask him איפה אתם? באיזה מלון אתם? its obvious im asking where they are; if im asking when they tell me theyre on a vacation or something similar then the question is in which hotel will they stay.

18. Drink Senior Member

New England
    I think what you meant was "the charm and complexity of all languages is context". It's the same thing with English "What hotel are you at?"

19. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Perhaps, but its irrelevant, i dont know everyday english so i cant tell you what would be expected, not to mention the diversity of places its spoken.

20. Drink Senior Member

New England
    I was only pointing out a few flaws that you need to think about if you were going to say "באיזה מלון אתם?". I wasn't saying it shouldn't be used.

21. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    For the record - i didnt suggest to omit anything, certainly not to one who is only at the tip of learning hebrew.

22. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Exactly, in Britain we wouldn't use "at" this way, we'd say "in".

23. Drink Senior Member

New England
    Actually in the US, you'd also more likely say "in". I just used "at" because it is the same preposition as in the phrase "staying at", so I only had to get rid of the verb and not also change prepositions.

24. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Ok, I always assumed "where you at?" was standard in spoken US English, for "where are you?" (obviously the latter is also used).

25. Drink Senior Member

New England
    No, "where (are) you at" is heavily colloquial. You'd never use it in a formal setting, and informally I personally use it much less often. On the other hand, "what hotel are you staying at" is perfectly normal, but you can also say "what hotel are you staying in".