1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

In which language is this written?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Jeno, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Jeno New Member

Switzerland
    Danish
    I have an Indian Jamdhar/katar with an inscription, but have so far not been able to get a translation. Can anyone please tell me, in which language it is written, where this language is/was spoken, and translate the text.
    I have written a few articles about Indian weapons, and so far I have succeded to get translations of the texts inscribed. Now I am working on a catalogue on Indian weapons, and this seems to be one of the last ones not transleted, so if anyone can translate it, it would be a very big help.
    Kind regards
    Jeno

Attached Files:

2. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
  3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I can tell you that the language in question is Devanagri alphabet based language. I can recognize some letters quite clearly and would lean towards Hindi or Nepali. I also thought of Bengali or Gujarati but I believe Gujarati does n't have the top horizontal line. On second thoughts I don't think it is Gujarati or Bengali. Sorry, this does n't take you much further.

4. Jeno New Member

Switzerland
    Danish
    sb70012 and Qureshpor, thank you for your answers.
    A friend living in Kerala could not help, so he sent the picture to a friend in New Delhi, and got this answer back: 'I showed this to North Indians like – Hindi, Punjabi, Rajasthani, Gujrati, Urdu, etc.. but nobody could recognize the same.'
    To my opinion it is 18th or early 19th century and Rajput or from Rajasthan. I attach a picture of the whole katar, hoping that the decoration may help.
    Jeno 39-abc.jpg

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    You are most welcome! By process of elimination I can tell you with complete certainty that it is not Urdu or Punjabi writing. Rajasthani is a possibility.

6. Jeno New Member

Switzerland
    Danish
    I have been told by someone living in Bikaner, that there is a year shown in the first picture I showed - top picture at the left side. Is that so, and if yes, which year is it? People mostly see what they want to see, so I prefer to ask, rather than start guessing.
    Jeno

7. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    It is clearly Hindi/Sanskrit, but the problem is that it is not written very legibly and some parts of it just look
    like gibberish. This either means that whoever wrote it did a poor job or it has been damaged.

Update: After looking at this again, this may very well be Kaithi script, a script used to write Hindi before the Devanagari script was chosen. The problem is that no one uses Kaithi script anymore. It is at least 100 years out-of-date.

Take at look at this : http://poojasaxena.wordpress.com/category/kaithi/

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  8. Jeno New Member

Switzerland
    Danish
    Hello tonyspeed,
    This is very interesting, and I cant say that I have even heard of this language. Where was it spoken/used?
    Jeno

9. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    It is not a language. It is a script. European countries, for the most part, use the Latin script. India has many different scripts, most of which evolved from the Brahmi Script. The Kaithi script is one such script that was in heavy use over a century ago, but now has fallen into disuse.

If this is really Kaithi Script, to figure out the language, you will have to figure out the sounds represented by these letters and transliterate it into a form that modern South Asians can understand.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  10. Jeno New Member

Switzerland
    Danish
    If it is written in Kaithi script, do then find it possible that is was damaged, and that someone, before selling it tried to 'imprive' the inscription?
    I have better pictures, but I cant show them on the forum, as they are too big. If you think it would help please PM me with your mail address, and I will send them to you.
    Thank you for yor time.
    Jeno

11. Jeno New Member

Switzerland
    Danish