in your dreams

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Seikun, May 18, 2013.

1. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    Hi.
    How do you say this sarcastic expression in Japanese as when someone says something arrogantly and you dislike that very much and express your incredulity?

Thanks very much^^

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    We say 「おまえの頭の中ではな」, a common Internet slang. Note that we use head not dreams, and adding comma is fine, for example, 'That would be wonderful, in your head'. (それは)すごく良いだろう、おまえの頭の中ではな。

3. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    Interesting. I am a bit curious about the last two hiragana. Are they wa and na respectively?

Thank you very much!

4. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Yes! this な works similarly to よ or ね. は here works to limit: in 'your' head.

5. akimura

akimura Senior Member

Japan
    Japanese
    I can't think of any idiomatic Japanese phrase that always work as a translation of "In your dreams."

The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary says that "in your dreams" is used to tell soomebody that something they are hoping for is not likely to happen. The Dictionary shows the following sample dialogue:

Well then, here are some phrases that came up on my mind for "in your dreams" for the above sample:

「無理。」「無茶。」「あり得ないでしょう。」「夢物語でしょう。」「夢でも見ていれば。」

6. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    Thanks Frequency and Akimura^^

7. puny_god Junior Member

English - US
    And I learned something new today, thank you very much. :) I didn't know this internet slang before.
    The only expression equivalent to "in your dreams" I've heard before in anime was ありえない.

8. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Yep and this also focuses on 'only you', from speaker to listener. (Only in the listener's head, it's good.)

9. pauro13

pauro13 Junior Member

Tagalog
    Oh, bunch of geniuses. Thanks! Who would have thought just by randomly reading stuffs, you will learn something. xD yume demo mite ire ba! I guess this is a cool slang.

10. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Ah! Be careful when you use おまえの~, because this sounds offensive.

11. pauro13

pauro13 Junior Member

Tagalog
    So much aware. Haven't you remembered me posting and asking about おまえ?xD I never used that word anymore after I've learned about it.