Inadimplência

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by MARINAVHN, Oct 8, 2008.

1. MARINAVHN Junior Member

São Paulo - Brazil
    PORTUGUESE
    Olá! A tradução para o inglês da palavra Inadimplência é mesmo default? Alguém tem outra sugestão? Obrigada!:)

2. Que trem doido Senior Member

E.U.A. English
    Seria "default" mesmo se o contexto fosse um de finanças. Porém, se o contexto fosse um contexto jurídico, aí o termo mais usado seria "breach of contract".

3. MARINAVHN Junior Member

São Paulo - Brazil
    PORTUGUESE
    Muito obrigada. O termo refere-se mais a inadimplência financeira mesmo!

4. Benvindo Senior Member

Brazil, Portuguese

5. MARINAVHN Junior Member

São Paulo - Brazil
    PORTUGUESE

6. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Could it not also mean 'non-compliance'?

7. Carfer

Carfer Senior Member

Paris, France
    Portuguese - Portugal
    I think that 'incumprimento' (or sometimes 'desconformidade', in a broader sense, depending on context, of course) would be a better translation for 'non-compliance'. 'Inadimplência' is a specific form of 'incumprimento', it's the failure to discharge/to pay a duty when due, which in English is actually called 'default' (see Barron's Dicionary of Legal Terms).

I would translate 'breech of contract' as 'violação/quebra de contrato', which is also a form of the more general term 'incumprimento'

8. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I really should have provided the context from where I got the idea of 'non-compliance' since it is rather different from the idea of default as I see it:

'sendo que durante este período não caberão à CONTRATADA quaiquer apontamentos de inadimplência ou penalidades referentes a este item.'

that during this period the CONTRACTOR shall not be subject to any penalties for non-compliance with regard to this item.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. Carfer

Carfer Senior Member

Paris, France
    Portuguese - Portugal
    It's the first time I hear 'apontamentos de inadimplência' (notes ?? of default / or non-compliance in porteño's view) and I'm not sure of having fully grasped it's meaning. But, isn't there a payment involved, as the sentence seems to imply by the use of 'inadimplência'? If there is I would stick to 'default', otherwise I reckon that 'non-compliance' would be a better choice.

Thanks for the correction, Porteño.

10. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Actually I also found it to be a rather strange expression (it sounds more like a points system in a school). The entire contract is somewhat poorly written in my opinion, the lawyer involved having developed his own very particular terminology. As far as I can see, there is no mention as to what form said penalties would take, but I think one can safely assume they would be of a pecuniary kind. In the clause in question, the Contractor is being exempted from any penalties during the trial period of of a new system.:)

11. Carfer

Carfer Senior Member

Paris, France
    Portuguese - Portugal
    That's what I thought too.

I think it's not the nature of the penalties (pecuniary or otherwise) that is the core of this matter, rather it's what sort of breach of contract they stem from. If from a failure to pay a duty, 'default'. If from a less specific and different failure, 'non-compliance'.
    Anyway, I must say I'm making these fine distinctions just because my Brazilian-PT 'Portuguese-English Law Dictionary' defines 'inadimplência' specifically as 'failure to pay a duty'. As such it's closer to the more specific English term 'default'. In PT-Portuguese it would be OK to translate 'inadimplência' as 'non-compliance' as we define 'inadimplência' as any breach of contract. Maybe some Brazilians jurists view it the same way.