incur a wrong charge

Discussion in 'English Only' started by AskLang, Aug 3, 2010.

1. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    Are wrong charges said to be incurred? If not, how are they said to be?

Example sentence:

You will have to inquire what procedures we should take to serve our complaint regarding the wrong charges we incurred.

Thank you.

2. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Well, from your sentence, AskLang, I understand that you incurred charges that you were not supposed to incur. But you were still supposed to incur other, different, charges. So you incurred the wrong charges.

Is that the case, or did you "wrongfully incur charges" you were not supposed to incur at all?

Or am I wrong altogether? :)

3. MJSinLondon Senior Member

London
    English - UK (London)
    'incurred' sounds OK to me but 'to serve our complaint' doesn't.

I suggest: 'You'll have ask about the procedures we should take to recover the wrong/incorrect charges we incurred'

But others may be able to express this more concisely ...

4. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    The "other, different, charges" are in the statement like they should be, and so is this (wrong) charge which they've already collected previously.

5. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    Notice that when you incur something, that (ususally undesirable) something happens to you, it's not something that you do. You can, for example, incur charges, debts, losses, costs, or someone's wrath. Thus, the wrong charges we incurred means 'the money we incorrectly have been charged to pay.' That doesn't seem to be what you want to say. Instead, it seems you're after something like, the charges that we have incorrectly billed, which would mean, 'the money we have incorrectly asked you to pay.' (In the sentence, the word complaint would then have to be qualified by your, not our.)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    You were on the right track at explaining to me what 'incur' meant, as I thought of 'incur' as associated to charges which, at least, if someone was not liable or deserved to pay for, were borne out of their own transactions.

"People who <smoke> <incur> a great danger to their health"

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    I would not use "incur" if the charges were not the result of anything you did, i.e. charges appeared on the bill and you had nothing to do with them being there.

8. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    I agree with sdgraham. By saying "when you incur something, that (ususally undesirable) something happens to you, it's not something that you do," I meant that you, as the subject in a sentence like I have incurred these charges, do not perform an act, you don't "do" anything. But the charges should be the result of something you've done in the past. (So it's not correct to say I incurred wrong charges. Instead it would have to be something like I was incorrectly charged/billed.)

9. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    This is what I mean exactly. Thank you sdgraham.