Discussion in 'English Only' started by stcopy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. stcopy Senior Member

I fix a chair independently/personally.

If I want to express that I fix it all by myself, which one should I use? independently or personally?
  2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I would say that the answer is "neither of your options", stcopy.

I would say "I fixed it by myself".
  3. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Cross-posted with Loob.
  4. stcopy Senior Member

Thanks, but I think "by myself" sounds not very formal. Are there any words that I can use in my essay instead?
    And what does it mean by "I fix it independently/personally"?
  5. morior_invictus

Hi stcopy,
    independently = on your own; without outside help,
    personally = without the help or intervention of others,
    so as a matter of fact, I can`t see any reason why you couldn`t use it, if you want it more formal. :)
  6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    You could say "I fixed it alone".
    As to your second question, "I fix it independently/personally" means ... nothing:(.
  7. morior_invictus

Oh, and now I`m a bit confused, Loob. :) Why does it mean nothing to you? Is it wrong to use it in the meaning as I stated above? :confused:
  8. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I would simply say "I fixed it myself" if I meant that I repaired it without anyone else's help.

I would say "I fixed it by myself" only if I wanted to say that no one else was present.
  9. Cagey post mod

English - US
    Usually, in a context like this, we use personally only if we wanted to emphasize that we didn't assign the work to someone else. The owner of a shop might say:
    I will fix your chair personally. I won't have my assistant do it.
    We use the word independently when we want to emphasize that we had no supervision.

This is the first chair he fixed independently. Usually, the boss was right there, telling him what to do.

I agree that 'I fixed the chair all by myself' is better for the meaning you have in mind. If that seems too informal to you, you might say "I fixed the chair without any help."

You could say "I fixed the chair alone", but to me that emphasizes the idea that no one else was present, rather than that you did all the work yourself.

A small point: You are writing your sentences in the present tense [I fix it], but we are using the past tense in our examples [I fixed it] Are you writing about something you have done in the past? Or are you writing about the way you do things now?