Indian languages: "Cheers!"

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by chizinist, Aug 3, 2012.

1. chizinist Senior Member

English
    Are there standardized ways of saying "cheers" in India, as in when you raise a drink to toast? Is it the same across languages? It would be helpful for me to see it in Hindi and Telegu, if possible.

2. JaiHind Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi
    I am not sure if there is an exact Hindi term for it. Hindi speaking people also say "Cheers" for the occasion. I think it would be because originally this custom of raising toasts came from outside and natives in India didn't have this custom from the old times and hence may be we don't have an exact term for it. I am not sure if some Hindi speaking people have invented a term for it in Hindi. But it is absolutely natural to say "Cheers" in Hindi also, as we use so many other words in Hindi "as it is"...

3. nineth Senior Member

Hindi, Telugu
    There is none in either Hindi, Telugu, or Kannada, and I doubt there is one in any of the Indian languages (Indo European or Dravidian) for reasons mentioned by JaiHind. People normally use "Cheers". What people have invented (at least some of my friends at an event where they wanted to do everything in Hindi) is "ham tumheyN seNktey haiN" - which literally translates to "we are toasting / toast you" (not sure if they came up with it or got it from elsewhere). I personally like it and very likely other Hindi speakers have heard it; it might spread.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  4. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    In Urdu, which is also spoken in India and is an Indian language, you can say ba-salaamatii or salaamat.

5. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    This forum is only limited to Indo-Iranian languages. Other languages (including Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, and Malayalam) may discussed in the Other Languages forum. We also discussed this topic in this thread.

6. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    Yeah, Iranians toast with "(be=ba) salaamati". The term I have heard lately from several (younger) Punjabi or ancestrally Punjabi speakers is "maujaaN" موجاں/मौजाँ. I guess this would approximately translate to "fun times" or "good times"?

7. chizinist Senior Member

English
    Thank you for the help!