1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

indirect object pronouns / reflexive pronouns + direct object pronouns?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by אדם, Feb 4, 2009.

1. אדם Senior Member

English - USA
    Hola,

When should you use a reflexive pronoun vs. an indirect object pronoun with commands that have a direct object pronoun?

For example: Pone una multa a la señora - why is it pónsela and not pónlela?

Is there any rule for this?

Gracias,

-
    Adam

2. אדם Senior Member

English - USA
    Can anyone help me with this?

3. kw10 Senior Member

English (USA)
    Hi Adam,
    In the example you gave (pónsela), the "se" is not a reflexive pronoun. It´s still an indirect object pronoun, it just changes from "le" to "se" when combined in the same word with a direct object pronoun. As far as I know the only reason for this is that it sounds bad to combine the "le" and "la". Try saying "pónlela" 5 times fast... it´s just a tongue twister.

So if the indirect object pronoun is the only pronoun added on to the base word, it stays as "le": "Ponle una multa". But if you have a direct object pronoun as well, the indirect changes to "se": "Pónsela", as you said.

Hope this helps! (Also, next time posts of this type should go in the Grammar forum.)

4. Ith Senior Member

Spanish
    Hi!

It's very simple! Actually, it should be "pónlela", but it doesn't sound good at all, so it just changed to "pónsela".

And the rule is: you never write "lela" or "lelo" For example:

"Yo doy flores (DO: las) a Juan (IO: le)": "Yo LE LAS doy", which sounds bad and therefore becomes: "Yo se las doy".

Here, "se" is not a reflexive pronoun, but an alternative form of "Le".

Correcciones bienvenidas.

5. אדם Senior Member

English - USA
    Ah! Muchas gracias. :)

That makes total sense. P.S. Sorry I put this in the wrong section.