1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Indirect suggestion

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Dr.Appalayya, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Dr.Appalayya

Dr.Appalayya Senior Member

Hyderabad, India
    India;Telugu
    Situation:
    Sometimes, a boss does not relish if he is advised against something staightaway. He has to be suggested indirectly.

Query:
    What is such 'indirect suggesting' called?

2. downfallofutopia

downfallofutopia Junior Member

Ohio
    USA / English
    From the way I understand your question; you could use 'persuade', 'coax', or 'con'. 'Persuade' doesn't necessarily imply any indirect means. It is just convincing someone to agree with you. 'To coax' someone into doing something does imply an indirect route. 'To con' someone into doing something means to make use of some tricksome and under-handed techniques to get someone to do something you want. A common con is to call an elderly individual and tell them you are a travel agency offering them a slick deal on a vacation. They only need to give you their credit card number and any other pertinent information, so the con-man can take their money, but the elder person never gets the vacation. The other two words have a fairly neutral conotation.

For your situation I would use the word coax (e.g. My boss didn't want to let us go home early on christmas eve, but I gently coaxed him into it.)

3. Dr.Appalayya

Dr.Appalayya Senior Member

Hyderabad, India
    India;Telugu
    I am not interested in the outcome of indirect suggestion. I only want to describe 'suggested indirectly'. May be some synonyms for 'suggested indirectly'.

4. la reine victoria Senior Member

Perhaps "hinted", Dr. A.

LRV

5. Jane-o

Jane-o Junior Member

Canada
    Czech/English
    I think "hint" is good. Perhaps "imply" as well. And I don't see anything wrong with refering to it as an indirect suggestion either. :)