Indonesian: fronting location VS locative construction

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by bob2356, Aug 28, 2012.

1. bob2356 New Member

Paris, France
    French
    Hi everyone!

I'm trying to get a feel of how Bahasa Indonesia works, and there is one thing I don't really get.

I read that word order can be changed to emphasize the most meaningful part of the sentence. An example (from Wikipedia):
    • Saya pergi ke pasar kemarin "I went to the market yesterday" – neutral, or with focus on the subject.
    • Ke pasar saya pergi, kemarin "To the market I went yesterday" – emphasis on where I went yesterday.

Then I read at bahasakita dot com/about/grammar/suffix/i/ that the -i suffix can be used as a locative voice. How would the above sentence work with a locative construction? Would Pasar dipergi saya kemarin be correct? If it is, what nuance of meaning does it give, compared to Ke pasar saya pergi, kemarin?

2. izie New Member

Indonesia
    Indonesian
    Hi Bob,

Saya pergi ke pasar kemarin "I went to the market yesterday"
    Ke pasar saya pergi, kemarin "To the market I went yesterday"

we usually use the first sentence, because in Indonesian we use S + P + O + K

S : subjek / subject
    P : predikat / predicate
    O : objek / object
    K : keterangan / information when we go to the market, or where, etc

3. cilpana New Member

UK
    Indonesian
    Hi Bob,

"Pasar dipergi saya kemarin" would be wrong because of the reason that explained by Izie.
    However, you can change the construction of the sentence below :

Kemarin, saya pergi ke pasar "Yesterday, i went to the market" - this is to emphasise the time.

Hope this helps.