Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by Roel~, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Roel~ Member

Nederlands - Nederland
    The Germanic tribe of the Goths was in Spain around the 5th sanctuary after christ. What I 'm wondering about is if there are still some influences left on the Spanish languages or if the Arabic-speaking people sweeped away all the possible Gothic influences on the Spanish language.
  2. rbrunner Senior Member

German - Switzerland
    There are a number of given names of Gothic origin that are still in use in Spain (and other countries, of course). I list the ones that I encountered so far on my website here:

While learning Spanish and looking up the etymologies of words in the RAE dictionary ( I saw some common Spanish words with Gothic roots but I have no idea right now how to search that dictionary specifically for those.
  3. Quiviscumque

Quiviscumque Moderator

Ciudad del paraíso
    Just two dozen of words: for example, banda, estaca, frasco, ganar, parra, ropa; and the suffix -engo.

Notice that many Germanisms in Spanish are common to the other Romance languages, therefore they came via Latin; also a lot of them came later, via Old French/Occitan.

Don't put the blame on Arabs. Visigoths (few in number) were half latinized when they arrived in Hispania, so Hispanic Latin was never heavily affected by Gothic. On the other hand, Arabic was never spoken in the North, where Castilian, Galician and Catalan were born.
  4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I think you are using the word "Gothic" very loosely.
  5. rbrunner Senior Member

German - Switzerland
    I confess ... when I was building that list a few years back my knowledge about etymology and linguistics was pretty limited. But I think the "general direction" of the list should be ok, right?
  6. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Better if you simply say "Germanic".
  7. germanbz Senior Member

Benicàssim - Castelló - Spain
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)
    It's curious as while gothic language have hardly left any traces in Spain, how in the names and surnames the influence is very important.
  8. Roel~ Member

Nederlands - Nederland
    Which surnames and names in Spain are still of Gothic origin and in what can you say that those names are Germanic and not of Roman origin?
  9. germanbz Senior Member

Benicàssim - Castelló - Spain
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)
    Rodriguez - son of Rodrigo = Rodericus = Roderick. Rodriguez is the 4th most common surname in Spain.
    Gutierrez - son of Gutier = Gunthari.
    Fernández - son of Ferdinando/Fernando = Fredenand / Fridnand. Fernández is the second most common surname in Spain.

There are some more common surnames with germanic roots.
  10. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    You can look up those terms using Dirae:ót.
  11. rbrunner Senior Member

German - Switzerland
  12. Jacklynembrey Banned

new york city
    if any one want to know about that Spanish what is best resources???
  13. ampurdan

ampurdan Modstachioed modnster

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    Since, as Quiviscumque has said, the Visigoths were very latinized and (unlike the Al-Andalusian Arabs) they eventually stopped using their own language, it's not strange at all. It would have been prestigious even for their Roman subjects to use Gothic names in their Latinized versions, especially when Visigoths finally recanted their Arianism and adopted Catholicism. And also the same may be said about other German tribes that ruled previously in some parts of the Peninsula.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  14. palomnik Senior Member

It's quite common for proper names to retain older forms of a language, or terms from languages previously spoken in a given area.