infobesity

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by swift, Mar 10, 2013.

1. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Term: infobesity (noun, uncountable)

Your definition or explanation: Commonly defined as an 'information overload', infobesity is also understood as the relationship between information overabundance as a result of the never-ending flow of news being produced by an increasing number of authors and the way the audience ends up overconsuming all sorts of information through social media. According to this article (The Toronto Star, Tips to reduce the 'infobesity' in your life), the term was coined by Alvin Toffler in his book Future Shock, first published in 1970; it has become more mainstream in the last few years. The role of social networks nowadays has contributed to a new understanding of infobesity from a medical, psychological point of view.

Example: Developers create new applications to help news junkies to cope with the huge amount of information they deal with, thus fighting infobesity.

One or more places you have seen the term:

The term infobesity has been used colloquially for several years to mean a variety of things, but typically it is taken to mean an overabundance of information. I am using the term in a slightly new way: to describe the physical and cognitive condition in humans that can result from over-consumption of information. [Infobesity — Exploring the Cognitive and Physical Impacts of Information. <<http://www.infobesity.com/node/1 >>]

Your second source is information overload — what Alvin Toffler called “infobesity” in his 1970 book, Future Shock. And life’s gotten a lot more infobese since then. Today, it’s well recognized that just like overeating damages your health, overconsuming information causes chronic stress. [The Toronto Star. Tips to Reduce the 'Infobesity' in your life. << http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2013/01/29/tips_to_reduce_the_infobesity_in_your_life.html >>]

The basic idea of ‘infobesity’ is this: in the same way that fast food has enabled us to consume lots of low quality food for less money, we now have a vast plethora of information that is cheap to produce and consume. But as with fast food, too much of this ‘low quality but high quantity’ information can be unhealthy for us. [How Do We Cope with Information Overload? The Problem of 'Infobesity'. << http://www.cyber-soul.com/2012/07/17/the-problem-of-infobesity/ >>]

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes
    :tick: Only found in the Wikipedia article.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    I like the term, Swiftiño, and I like the fact that there exists a term for something I've been looking for a term for since about 1999:)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    I'm glad you like it, Ewienho. I just wonder if there will be something like inforexia in the future. :(

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. orphaeli Junior Member

Cascadia
    N. American English
    This is definitely a condition endemic to the modern world! I know a number of people who devour information and knowledge and I am surprised their brains haven't actually become swollen elephantish deformities!