Informe de Explicación/Aviso de Pago

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by yimei, Dec 18, 2012.

1. yimei Senior Member

English USA
    I am translating documents from a medical provider sent to a health insurance agency. The documents originate from Puerto Rico.

The title of the report is "Informe de Explicación/Aviso de Pago." I am not sure how to translate the "Informe de Explicación"
    "Explanation Report" or "Report of Explanation" just sounds weird to me.

How about "Summary Report"?

What exactly is an "Informe de Explicación" anyway?

2. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Here's a hunch: Explanation of Benefits (often referred to as EOBs), which insurance companies provide to the insureds when they pay a health care provider. (Of course, they also call it an Explanation of Benefits when they pay nothing and make the insured pay everything.)

A form that I found online refers to "Informe de Explicación de Beneficios."

There are other hits from Google that have nothing to do with EOBs.

You might be interested to know that the #1 hit on Google for "Informe de Explicación de Beneficios" was your post here in WordReference!

Check out the other hits on Google and see if they help.
  3. yimei Senior Member

English USA
    The document I am translating is definitely not an EOB. It is not explaining benefits to the patient. It is a form explaining the charges incurred by the patient while receiving medical care, and it is a form sent to an insurance company.

Any other ideas?

Also I failed to not that there is a table listing these charges/descriptions and the table is titled "Detalle de Explicación"

The column headings are:

Factura | ST. | Nombre de Paciente/Aseg | ID de Paciente/Aseg | Fecha | Referencia Plan | Cargos | Resp. Paciente | Pago |
    Fecha Serv. | Codigo/Modificadores | Cargos | Pago |
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Ricardo, your Google search results are probably personalized to give higher rankings to hits on sites you frequent.

In English "Informe de Explicación/Aviso de Pago" might be "Explanation and Notice of Charges" (the other way around sounds better).
  5. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Hmm, maybe in that case, I'm spending too much time here.

Back in olden times, when banks used to send out notices by mail, the form (say, notice that a check was deposited to your account) was often titled "advice."

But since advice is not that commonly used in this fashion, probably notice of payment would be more readily understood.

Since pago means payment, how about "Explanation of charges and notice of payment"

As to EOB, I didn't mean to suggest that as the name of the document but merely to suggest that it was that kind of document. From the headings that yimei has provided, it does seem like that kind of document. The EOBs that I receive often show just the charges, adjustments, and patient responsibilty. If a payment was made, it shows that too, but not always is a payment made. But the fact that it is sent by the provider to the insurer does seem to remove it from the realm of EOB.
  6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Hmm, to me a "notice of payment" is a notification that payment has been made. I guess I'm unclear on whether an "aviso de pago" is a notice of payment due or a receipt of payment notice.