1. juortgon Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    Chile - Spanish
    I was reading a Magazine "New Idea" from Australia, and I can't understand the reason why it have been used ing form.

this is the text.

"The power couple took to the waves of Hawaii recently, washing away persistent speculation about their sometimes rocky union. With children Jaden, 14, and Willow,12, in tow, the stars enjoyed some precious time together, proving a celebrity union doesn't always have a short expiry date!."

If someone knows about what part of grammar is, I was thinking of Reduced relative clauses, but I think it's other rule..

thanks!!!

2. macame

macame Senior Member

Half a mile to heaven
    Spanish & Galician
  3. SevenDays Senior Member

Spanish
    I wouldn't call it them "reduced relative clauses" either, because it turns out that "washing" modifies the entire clause the power couple took to the waves of Hawaii recently, and not just the noun "the power couple," just as "proving" modifies the entire clause that precedes it. Both "washing" and "proving" are participles that head non-finite clauses (which others may call "phrases") which function adverbially (because they modify the entire clauses that come before them). They are, then, adverbial clauses. You could have a special kind of relative clause, called "sentential relative clause," if we had, for example, the power couple took to the waves of Hawaii recently, which washed away persistent speculation about their sometimes rocky union. The referent of "which" is a sentence ("the power couple took to the waves of Hawaii recently"), which is why this structure is called "sentential" (from "sentence") relative clause.
    Cheers