Inglaterra envió a colonizadores a América

Tema en 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' comenzado por Minnesota_Chico, 22 de Abril de 2008.

1. Minnesota_Chico

Minnesota_Chico Junior Member

United States, English
    Hola!

I'm just not sure I am grammatically writing everything correctly. The use of "a" has me confused. I would appreciate any help!

Here it is:

En 1580, Inglaterra envió a colonizadores a América a establecer las colonias. Las colonias crecieron. Los ingleses establecieron finalmente trece colonias en América. En los 1750, Francia y Gran Bretaña luchaban en Europa y la guerra esparció a Norteamérica. Los Colonizadores ingleses quisieron tomar la tierra francesa en Norteamérica. La guerra terminó en 1759 cuando los ingleses capturaron Quebec.
    La nación fue fundada por trece colonias de Gran Bretaña. Las trece colonias empezaron una rebelión contra la regla inglesa en 1775 y proclamaron su independencia en 1776. Las colonias ganaron la guerra Revolucionaria contra Gran Bretaña y llegaron a ser una nación en 1781. George Washington llegó a ser el primer Presidente de Estados Unidos.
    Thank you very much,
    MC

2. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Although there are a few obvious corrections, it would be helpful to have the original text in English...

3. javier8907 Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    I'll try to point out every mistake I'll see, but take notice that I don't mean any bad.

"envió a colonizadores a América"... Well, I would say that the preposition "a" in such construction focuses on the people that were sent -being that it's used in that way only for animated beings when considered as such-, whereas a similar construction without "a" marks the fact that they were sent. As the following text puts rather more stress on the colonies' development and gives virtually no importance to the individual settlers, I'd say that even if the sentence is not grammatically incorrect, it sounds pretty awkward.

"a establecer las colonias" The article "las" here implies that there was a well made plan of which the colonies would be, and that they were sent to establish just those, so I think you should remove it. Even more, I think the whole phrase is redundant, being obvious that settlers could not be sent not to establish colonies.

"En 1580..." means that all settlers were sent in that year, so I would change that for "Desde 1580", or "En 1580, Inglaterra envió los primeros colonos a América."

I think that the sentences "Las colonias crecieron." and "Los Ingleses establecieron finalmente trece colonias en América" are all too short, and I'd make them into one using "y".

You just can't say "en los 1750" in Spanish, say "en la década de 1750" instead, or "en los años 50 del siglo XVIII". "Francia y Gran Bretaña luchaban en Europa" is all correct, given that you mean that they were fighting -regardless of the start of the conflict- which is the most logical way to tell it.

"la guerra esparció" is incorrect, it means the war spread something. The correct phrase is "la guerra se esparció", or even better -as this would sound like the war spread in all directions- "la guerra se extendió". "Los colonos ingleses quisieron tomar" makes the impression that it occurred to them in a minute "hey, why don't we...?". I very much prefer "... se propusieron tomar", although, it may sound a bit too formal for everyday conversation, but not for a school work.

"la tierra francesa" is not necessarily incorrect, though it refers rather to French motherland. Instead, I'd write "las tierras francesas", or even better (and more formal) "las posesiones francesas", making it clear that you refer only to the overseas dominions, to lands "possesed by" France, but not "intrinsecally" French -and, of course, use "las" only if you mean the whole of them.

"La nación fue fundada por trece colonias de Gran Bretaña" is absolutely correct, given that there were more of them which didn't join the rebellion. Even though, "the nation" in Spanish doesn't automatically convey the USA, nor does the word "America" when used geographically as here. So, unless you have ommited previous text, or the USA are mentioned in the title, I think you should add an adjective, replacing "La nación" with" "la nación americana" -although many object to the usage of the word "América" and its derivatives for the USA alone- or simply "Los Estados Unidos".

"empezaron una rebelión"... I don't know exactly why, but it doesn't sound well to my ears -in this context. I would rather say "se rebelaron". "English/British rule" can't be translated as "regla inglesa", but as "dominio inglés", or, less formal, "poder inglés".

"llegaron a ser una nación" ... I'd rather say "pasaron a ser una nación", which means that right after that moment they became a nation, while "llegaron a ser" implies that later than the things explained before -winning the war- they passed through a long or difficult process before being a nation, which I don't think is your intention. The same applies to "G. W. llegó a ser...". You could say "se convirtió en..." instead.

As for "colonizadores", I think it's all right. Even though, I've always heard the word "colonos" when it was about the Settlers, but you can't trust films very much.

I haven't commented on capital letters. I think it's not right to write "Colonizadores", as it is not as clear in Spanish which settlers one is talking about as it is in America. It's also incorrect to write "guerra Revolucionaria", as if there was such a war that could be called distinctly "Guerra Revolucionaria", both words would be capitalled -but I don't think that is the case in Spanish. You couldn't write "Guerra de la Independencia" either for the American War of Independence, as the Spanish one against Napoleonic troops already uses that name in Spain, and I suppose in Latin American countries this name will apply to that of each of them.

I hope I have been of any help to you. I would like to have had such an exhaustive corrector when studying English -or so I think. But well, in case you find I've written too many things to learn, I'll write an alternative version of the text, with -so seems to me at least- all mistakes and nothing but the mistakes removed.

Desde 1580, Inglaterra envió colonizadores a América. Las colonias crecieron y los ingleses establecieron finalmente trece colonias en América. En la década de 1750, Francia y Gran Bretaña luchaban en Europa y la guerra se extendió a Norteamérica. Los colonizadores ingleses se propusieron tomar las tierras francesas en Norteamérica. La guerra terminó en 1759 cuando los ingleses capturaron Québec.
    Los Estados Unidos fueron fundados por trece colonias de Gran Bretaña. Las trece colonias se rebelaron contra el poder inglés en 1775 y proclamaron su independencia en 1776. Las colonias ganaron la guerra revolucionaria contra Gran Bretaña y pasaron a ser una nación en 1781. George Washington se convirtió en el primer presidente de Estados Unidos.

I repeat I hope I have helped you, and I haven't been too "exhaustive".

4. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    Thankyou Javier8907. I think that not only Minnesota Chico but several "hidden" readers will have greatly appreciated your useful comments.

5. javier8907 Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    You'll make me blush...

6. Juan Carlos Garling

Juan Carlos Garling Senior Member

Chile/Argentina
    Spanish Chile/Argentina
    En 1580, Inglaterra envió colonizadores a América para establecer colonias y éstas se desarrollaron. Los ingleses establecieron finalmente trece colonias. En los 1750, Francia y Gran Bretaña luchaban en Europa y la guerra se extendió a Norteamérica y los colonizadores ingleses pretendieron tomar los territorios franceses en este continente. La guerra terminó en 1759 cuando los ingleses capturaron Quebec. La nación fue fundada por las trece colonias británicas, las cuales iniciaron una rebelión contra la dominación inglesa en 1775 y proclamaron su independencia en 1776. Las colonias ganaron la guerra Revolucionaria contra Gran Bretaña y llegaron a ser una nación en 1781. George Washington llegó a ser el primer Presidente de los Estados Unidos.

Comparte esta página