Initials = full name

Discussion in 'English Only' started by deslenguada, Feb 29, 2008.

1. deslenguada

deslenguada Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    May I understand the word "initials" meaning "full name" ? or it jus measn "the first letter of your name"?

Its for an employment application.

Thank you. ;)

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    If it is plural, initials rather than initial, they may be asking for the initial letter of each word in your name.

Thurgood Marshall's initials would be TM.
    John Mercer Langston's initials would be JML.

I can't tell you if you should include all your initials or just the initials in your name as you use it most often--for example, I don't know whether you should include your second name if you have one but don't use it.

3. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Usually, on an application the only "initials" asked for would be "middle initial". For example, if my name was Mr. Green White Blue, I might write:
    First name: Green
    Initial: W.
    Last Name: Blue

4. deslenguada

deslenguada Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Well, they are asking me for my "family name" in other box, they don´t ask me for my "name", but they do ask me for my "initial(s)" in other box, so I don´t know what to think about it, I´m not sure.

5. snorklebum

snorklebum Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico English
    Odd, is this some sort of form that wants you to be anonymous? So they want R. Smith instead of Robert Smith?

6. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    In Russia and in India it is common to refer to people by initials (V.I. Lenin, for example) and not by full name. In the UK and the US, however, this would be odd.

7. LINN18 New Member

DAVAO CITY
    PHILIPPINES - I CAN SPEAK FILIPINO, ILONGGO, AND VISAYAN LANGUAGE
    If it's your last name's initial.Say, your name is John P. Smith, Last name initial is S.