1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Inner strength/spiritual strength

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by mindtrap, Mar 12, 2012.

1. mindtrap New Member

Reykjavík, Iceland
    Icelandic-Iceland
    Hello all of you:)
    how would you say Inner strength (as in spiritual strength) in russian? I'm thinking about getting it as a tattoo and I'm considering having it in russian:)

love

2. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Сила духа. (spiritual strength)
    Внутренний стержень. (literally - inner supporting rod).

3. mindtrap New Member

Reykjavík, Iceland
    Icelandic-Iceland

4. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    I'd wait for others to suggest more. After all, a tattoo is there for a long time.

5. mindtrap New Member

Reykjavík, Iceland
    Icelandic-Iceland
    Yesyes I will double-check everything before making a decision :)

6. Hoax

Hoax Senior Member

Russian
    I like "сила духа", it is short enough and looks nice and unusuall when is handwritten.

7. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Why not just внутренняя сила?
    But in Ossetian it would be even cooler... Russian letters, and nobody will ever understand what sort of devilry it is.

8. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    No, "внутрення сила" is something strange. "Сила духа" is the "spiritual strength" and the "inner strength" usually also means the spiritual strength. And it is a set expression.

9. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Well, but doesn't he want "inner strength as in spiritual strength" rather than just "spiritual strength"?

10. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    I think in Russian, maybe due to most of 20th century being fairly atheistic, "сила духа" came to mean both the inner and the spiritual strength.
    In English they are not the same, though not totally dissimilar, and may be used interchangeably by some people.

It is just in Russian "дух" and "сила духа" have lost spiritual / religious part of it, so it can stand for both.
    I have never heard "внутренняя сила".
    But in one of the Soviet time songs the words go: "Богатьiрская наша сила, сила духа и сила воли".

Of course, there is also that "сила воли", but that is "willpower".

PS. There are plenty of "внутренняя сила" found on the web. It is in use, but I have never heard it in speech. It is a clumsy combination to me.

11. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    And in literature as well. It sounds quite natural for me.

12. Hoax

Hoax Senior Member

Russian
    I guess it is not common to see "внутренняя сила" standing alone with no further explanations as people can understand it differently (сила духа, сила воли, сила мысли, сила веры...) and it is the reason why said alone it sounds awkward, a context is needed and there will be no context on guy's body for sure, so this variant is not good at all.

13. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Yes. This is probably what I wanted to say. I cannot imagine it being used alone.

That is, it won't make a motto.

Сила духа - can be a motto
    Сила воли - also can
    Внутрення сила - cannot.

14. morbo Senior Member

Русский
    Can't help imagining "Сила духа", when used alone, as the trademark of a herbal tea, ointment made of threshed and ground critters or some other "traditional" concoction, complete with the image on the package depicting a huge, bearded, swashbuckling epic hero dashing through the woods on an enormous black horse.

Tattoo is a serious thing that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  15. Hoax

Hoax Senior Member

Russian
    Not at all, I can hardly imagine where would you pick up such an idea oO

16. morbo Senior Member

Русский
  17. Hoax

Hoax Senior Member

Russian
  18. GBTG Junior Member

BC, Canada
    Russian
    or you can say " духовная сила "

19. GBTG Junior Member

BC, Canada
    Russian
    But I like "Сила воли " better

20. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    GBTG We are not really discussing "силу воли" here. This forum, same as others, exists to answer the questions asked, as long as they make sense. If you can make case for translating "inner / spiritual strength" as "сила воли" - OK, make the case, but we are not discussing here what looks good as a tattoo. We discussing what the valid translation is, and whether or not it can be used standalone (since this is how a tattoo would use it).

21. GBTG Junior Member

BC, Canada
    Russian
    Ok. I just wrote a translation, and then wrote my opinion. But OK. I understand.

22. angelg12 New Member

russia
    ru
    It consists of ginseng. Can not you buy ginseng root ginseng?