1. hoogiesgirl

hoogiesgirl Senior Member

"Inquire with" puede significar "reunirse con"? La frase es la siguiente: At your request, I will inquire with him on your behalf ¿Podría ser "si así lo solicitáis, me reuniré con él en vuestro nombre"? :confused:

2. Soupdragon

Soupdragon New Member

British
    Hola de nuevo.

Como siempre no estoy seguro pero yo creo que "inquire with him" es igual que "preguntarle". Pero que es mas formal.
    Que le parece usted?:)

3. funnydeal Senior Member

Mexico, D.F.
    Mexico / Español
    A tu solicitud, le preguntaré de tu parte

:confused:

4. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    I have never heard the use of "inquire with". It would normally be said "ask him on your behalf". Existe la frase "inquire within" pero "inquire with", no.

5. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Hi Hoogiesgirl!! Where did you find that phrase? I mean does it appear in any dictionary you have consulted???

I couldn't find it. I've only found "inquire into/after/about sth/for sb...."

Art :) ;) :p

6. hoogiesgirl

hoogiesgirl Senior Member

Of course, that is why I've asked you. I've taken it from the book I'm translating, but when consulting several dictionaries, I haven't found "inquire with" in any of them... And since you all are my best dictionary... :D ;)

7. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    I'm saying this with all due respect, Jacinta: but every time you say "I've never heard of it" or "[No] existe la frase" can be misleading if someone takes your word for it. Just a little suggestion that you check first.

indagar. (Del lat. indagāre). 1. tr. Intentar averiguar, inquirir algo discurriendo o con preguntas.

Indagaron con los vecinos y nadie reclamó el perro, they inquired with their neighbors and no one claimed the dog.

Al indagar sobre las causas..., after inquirying into the cause...

8. Focalist Senior Member

European Union, English
    It's still weird English, to my ear at least.

"They inquired with their neighbors" gives the impression that they and their neighbours made a joint enquiry of someone else.

F

9. cristóbal Senior Member

EEUU
    EEUU/Inglés
    I would agree... it's better off avoided, although the "inquire with the neighbors" sounds convincing... It sounds rather formal and in some situations is odd to the ear. I've been repeating it to myself over and over, but it's just not sinking in.

10. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    Although, stylistically, "of" is another choice for "with" when talking about asking/investigating/finding out from people, here are some other prepositions that go with inquire. Oh, and it's not formal. Unfamiliarity with words in your own language does not make it formal, maybe advanced, more sophisticated, but not formal.

With does go with inquire when it is people you are asking/finding out from; at if you're going to ask questions at some place I don't know what time the movie starts, inquire at the ticket booth; in if your going to ask questions/investigate/find out if its in a place (assuming the speaker is "outside" in some way) I don't know where my child's classroom is, I'll inquire in the Principal's Office; about when comes to referring to what you are going to ask about/investigate/find out about I'll inquire about where the bathrooms are in this place later : also, about/around can refer to place, surroundings He inquired about/around] the crime scene, looking for evidence or witnesses who may have seen what happened; into when you are going to ask about/find out about/investigage I still haven't found out what led to his being fired, I'll inquire into the matter as soon as possible.

Anyway-- that's English for you. And, being native in English, I still find some English words don't sound right to me. But that is because, I later find, I myself never learned to use them or was never exposed to them enough.

11. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English

Sorry to sound so "authoritarian". So, you have heard inquire with???
    I will rephrase my statement: "No existe esta frase en mi pequeñita parte del mundo." I'll leave it at that.

12. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    ¿Estás burlándote? No. Yo tampoco.

Te refieres a tu "pequeñito rumbo del mundo".
    ¡Pues intenta de ampliarlo! Tienes razón, que no exista algo en tu pequeño mundo o la mente tuya no es decir que no exista en el mundo en general. Por eso hay que hablar con gente de otra clase, otro oficio, otra parte de la ciudad, leer más, leer revistas o libros que no se acostumbra a leer, buscar en el Internet porque el Internet te amplía, hablando figuradamente, el mundo y hay que viajar y vivir en diferentes partes del EE.UU. para exponerse a la variedad de lenguaje que existe en el inglés americano. ¡Ánimo! Eres una moderadora del foro y debes poner el ejemplo. Al menos tienes el Internet para consultar antes de pronunciar que algo no existe sólo porque nunca lo habías leído o oído tú.

13. cristóbal Senior Member

EEUU
    EEUU/Inglés
    Pues, porque estamos en el humor de corregir, es INTERNET, nada de "el internet". :D

Que pases un buen día leyendo revistas y libros y hablando figuradamente.

14. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    ;) ;) :) :p

15. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Feliz Navidad, Chaucer, y Prospero Año Nuevo! :)

jacinta