Inscripción de nacimiento fuera de plazo

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Samec, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Samec

Samec Junior Member

Denver CO
    Spanish
    Hello all,

I am translating a Spanish Birth Certificate into US English and need help with "inscripción fuera de plazo".

Here is the context: "Expediente de inscripción de nacimiento fuera de plazo legal de hijo no matrimonial"

And here is my try (that sounds pretty awful to me): Overdue record of birth registration of a son born out of wedlock"

Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

2. Regnellahc Junior Member

USA
    Spanish & English (Spanglish)
    I would say "delayed registration of child born out of wedlock"
    I've seen that specific phrase (delayed registration) on government documents (USA) where a child was registered 10 years after birth.

3. Samec

Samec Junior Member

Denver CO
    Spanish
    Wow, ten years is some delay!

Thank you so much Regnellahc, your answer is most helpful, it is perfect for the context.

4. Regnellahc Junior Member

USA
    Spanish & English (Spanglish)
    Well, for clarification purposes, the child wasn't registered 10years later. Actually, the government official reviewing the document misunderstood "issue date" with "registration date". It happens...

5. JGCuadra Senior Member

Nicaragua
    Latinamerican Spanish
    Wedlock sounds strange to me... i would write outside of marriage...

6. Samec

Samec Junior Member

Denver CO
    Spanish
    Thanks for the clarification Regnellaahc, I was wondering about some parents, lol.
    JGCuadra, thank you for your tip too; wedlock is very formal, I know, but it is often used here for legal documents, so allá a donde fueres haz lo que vieres :)