1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

inscrit sur la tranche

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Parigigi, May 22, 2008.

1. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Bonjour,

je me demandais si ma traduction pour cette expression, dans le contexte suivant, était juste :
    Les « albums » sont enserrés dans un U, de sorte à ne montrer que l’action inscrite sur la tranche.

The “albums” were tightly encircled in a U, so as to only show the action impressed on the edge.
    Merci !

2. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    England & English (UK version)
    Without context, I find this hard to imagine. But I doubt that "tightly encircled in a U" is right in any context. "Encircled" means "circled all the way round", I think, so by definition it's not in a U. Perhaps (guessing at the context) "the albums were tightly covered....("covered" need not mean completely covered)...except for the binding edge...(see another thread)...so as to show only the (whatever the "action" is - stocks?)

3. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    No, it's an artistic installation.
    Booklets containing pictures, put together...
    Maybe "tighly strung together"?

4. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    ah, maybe I've got the picture now: the booklets themselves are formed into into a U? (I thought you were talking about each album being covered by something.) this makes more sense. If it's right, "the books are placed (strung together, if that's actually how they were held in place) in a slightly open circle ("in a U-shape" is actually more descriptive) so as show only what is written/painted/whatever on their (tranches - there seems to be a debate about what part of a book that can be; from your description of the arrangement it only seems to make sense that here tranches means spines)".

5. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Thanks!
    Here's how it goes, then :
    The “albums” are tightly placed / encircled together in a U-shape, so as to show only what is impressed on the spines.​

6. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    I'd really avoid "encircled", which confuses things. If you must use something similar, use "circled together" (easier to understand what's happening even if still not strictly accurate; encircled is definitely wrong).

Do you have to use a passive verb? It's more elegant to say "The collection of "albums" forms a tight U-shape showing only what is impressed on their spines."

7. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    That's perfect, you're wonderful!

8. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    Les « albums » sont enserrés dans un U

Je ne crois pas que cela indique une disposition en arc de cercle (on dirait "disposés en U").

Il me semble que les albums (individuellement ou le groupe de "livrets") sont
    "encased in a U-shaped element" - un peu comme certains livres qui sont présentés dans des coffrets et dont on ne peut lire que la tranche

9. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Thanks!
    So :

The collection of “albums” are encased in a tight U-shape element showing only what is impressed on their spines.

Sounds good?

10. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    Well, it's not what I had understood was happening, but I may have misunderstood of course. "Encased" means the books are inside some sort of cover, like a cardboard box (or similar) of the sort archijacq describes - partially open in this instance. If that's the situation, I'd say "box" rather than "element", which is unnecessarily vague. Also, in the sentence you have above "tight" will be taken to apply to "element" and not (as I think you intend) to "U-shape", so you may need to reorganise that, e.g. "encased in a tightly U-shaped box".

11. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    I don't think it's a box.
    "tightly encased", then, no?

12. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    but "encased" means "in a box/other container" :confused: what sort of "case" are the books "encased" in?

13. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    The artist's explanation : le U c'est une sorte de serre-livres en métal, d'un seul bloc.
    I'm thinking of simplifying it all : "tightly squeezed in a U-shape bookend showing only what is impressed on their spines."

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  14. moviebuff Junior Member

English - US
    How about: the albums were arranged in a U-shaped phalanx (which is defined as a close array) with revealing only what is stamped/engraved on their spines.

15. Parigigi Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Thanks Moviebuff.
    Well, she said it was a "serre-livres" (kinda'), i.e. a bookend.
    Stamped is good.
    Revealing seems too "photographic" or mysterious. They don't reveal anything, they just don't cover whatever is on the spines, let it show.
    What's wrong with "tightly squeezed"?

16. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    "tightly squeezed into a U-shaped metal book frame so as to show only....."