insertion professionnelle

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by skahaguah, Jun 5, 2006.

1. skahaguah Junior Member

hey hey !
    comment traduiriez-vous insertion professionnelle? je trouve 'occupational integration', mais j ai vraiment l impression que ca sonne faux.... vous en pensez quoi?:)
  2. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    professional integration
  3. kennyr87 New Member

American English
    on-the-job training
  4. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    on-the-job training means "formation sur le lieu de travail". Nothing to do with "insertion professionnelle", I am afraid.

Below are two examples of how we use "insertion professionnelle" in French :

Student work placements (internships) are an excellent way of getting ready for "insertion professionnelle".
    That university course is not meant to enable students to continue their studies, but rather prepare them for "insertion professionnelle" straight after graduating.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  5. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    I would prefer translating "insertion professionnelle" as "finding / obtaining employment", "[getting] a job", "joining the workforce / labour force", "integration into the labour force", "job creation", etc. I shy away from "professional" because the English word has in my opinion a very much more restrictive meaning compared to the French "professionnel, -le".
  6. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    entering the labo(u)r market ?
  7. bernardette Senior Member

USA, English
    Reading these replies does not help the issue I have at hand. In the corporate responsibility section of a company handbook their goals are:
    ° favoriser le développement professionnel de chaque collaborateur, ° favoriser l'insertion professionnelle, ° assurer le dialogue social actif au sein de l'entreprise ;

so finding employment or joining the workforce would not seem to apply, since, assumedly, we are talking about their current employees. I am leaning more towards the training/development sense of it, in other words, give employees the opportunity to integrate more fully into the company, to move onwards and hopefully upwards. Can anyone think of a succinct way of putting it, or am I way off base in the first place?
  8. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    Are you sure, bernardette? I've only ever come across "insertion professionnelle" used as Jean-Michel described it in #4. Clearly the first item refers to the training/development of current employees, so why would they have a second item expressing the same thing?

As I read it, that second goal is saying that they are open to employing people seeking their first job (not all companies are!). I guess it might also refer to people who have been unemployed for some time and are trying to get back to work, or even to people who have made a major change and are starting from scratch in an entirely different field. But I can't see it applying to current employees, as they're already "insérés".

9. bernardette Senior Member

USA, English
    Thank you, Wordsmyth. That does make sense to me now, especially since it is in the corporate responsibility section. Perhaps offering (or expanding) employment opportunities?
  10. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    Something like that. It's hard to find a neat phrase in English that covers the "insertion" aspect.

A quick check in Linguee (sometimes inspirational, though to be used with caution as there are some strange translations out there in the wild) doesn't suggest anything ideal. It confirms that the context of "insertion professionnelle" is as I mentioned, and there are examples covering young starters, the elderly, the handicapped, the 'socially excluded', etc — but the translations mostly use 'professional/occupational insertion/integration', which doesn't really do it for me unless the reader already has in mind the socio-political principle in question.

Maybe: "Offering employment opportunities for those starting or returning to work" ...?

11. bernardette Senior Member

USA, English
    Thanks again, Ws.