1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

intermediate school

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by raffavita, Nov 17, 2009.

1. raffavita

raffavita Senior Member

Rome
    italian
    Ciao a tutti,

sono un po' confusa.

Su WR ho trovato "intermediate school" = scuola secondaria superiore.

Ma qui dice che l'età è tra i 10 e i 13 anni. Sembra più scuola media.:confused:
    La scuola è a New York.

Help! Grazie ;)

2. Tunalagatta Moderator

Blighty
    English - England
    I'm from the UK so this is just guesswork, but it could be called "junior high". ???

3. Tonza Senior Member

Chicago, US
    English - U.S.
    Where I grew up in the U.S. (Colorado), some districts had "junior high" (grades 7-8, or approximately ages 12-13) and other districts had "middle school" (grades 6-8, or ages 11-13). No districts had anything called "intermediate school". The definition you found for "intermediate school" appears to be from New Zealand. I am not familiar with the New York school system; is the school actually called "intermediate school"? If so, is there any way to find out the ages of the kids so you can correlate it to the Italian system rather than trusting a dictionary (since I think they're rather unreliable when it comes to these things)?

4. raffavita

raffavita Senior Member

Rome
    italian
    Hi,
    ;)

The passage reads: "retired teacher from Intermediate School".
    :confused:

Grazie mille a tutti.

5. Tonza Senior Member

Chicago, US
    English - U.S.
    I did some googling, and it looks like in New York the middle schools are indeed called "intermediate schools", and referred to using either term. For example, a particular school might be called "Intermediate School ###(number)" and its website will say, "selected as one of NY's best middle schools..." One I found consisted of grades 6-9 (ages 11-14) and another of grades 6-8 (ages 11-13). Does that help at all?

6. raffavita

raffavita Senior Member

Rome
    italian
    Yes. Definitely.
    Super thank you!!!!!!!
    I think I'll go with "scuola media."

Grazieeeeeeee!
    :)