1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

internal accounting controls

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by crystfan, Apr 3, 2013.

1. crystfan Junior Member

English
    de controles contables internos

Como escribe internal accounting controls?

2. Pinairun

Pinairun Senior Member

3. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I see "accounting" as the gerund, a noun, and I take the phrase to mean "internal controls on accounting"—right?
    See if there's agreement on "controles internos de contabilidad".

4. SevenDays Senior Member

Spanish
    Sí, también me gusta controles internos de contabilidad (claro, sin descartar la opción de Pinairun)
    (y para una traducción no literal, quizás auditoría interna)
    Saludos

5. crystfan Junior Member

English
    Gracias para sus sugerencias. Estoy de acuerdo. La frase en ingles no es bien escrito.

6. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    "Accounting" is functioning as an adjective modifying controls. The controls are both "internal control" and "accounting controls."

"Internal accounting controls" is a standard accounting term, so I don't agree with crystfan that the English phrase is not well written.

7. crystfan Junior Member

English
    Si, FromPA. Accounting is el sustantivo. Gracias.

8. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    internal (adj) accounting (adj) controls (noun)

9. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    In English, a noun can modify another noun, as in "bottle cap" (a cap for a bottle).
    "Bottle" in this example takes on an adjectival function, so to that extent we could say it "is" an adjective.
    I think the same applies to "accounting" in "accounting controls".

10. SevenDays Senior Member

Spanish
    If this "accounting" is a gerund/noun, then it's functioning like an adjective, because adjectives, and not nouns, modify nouns. When a noun modifies another noun, it typically does so in an "of" construction: the cap of the bottle. A way out of this "part of speech" issue is to call "accounting controls" and "bottle cap" compound nouns, structures where two nouns come together to create a new single concept, with no modification involved. In that case, the compound "accounting controls" is modified by the adjective "internal." In compound nouns, the first element is pronounced with more stress, and that's what happens here. Of course, we don't have to worry if "accounting" is a gerund (noun) or an participle (adjective) by simply calling it an "-ing" word, and it is that "-ing" word that modifies "controls."
    Cheers

11. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Nouns can modify other nouns perfectly well. "The cap of the bottle" is just a prepositional phrase expressing possession/relation.