intersección con el eje de discriminación de género

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by stemu, Aug 12, 2006.

1. stemu Senior Member

Andalusia
    German
    I have this sentence to translate which seems increadibly complicated to me. I dont even understand this phrase well. Could someone help?

Como cabía esperar, diversas investigaciones de índole cualitativo y cuantitativo, apuntan a que la experiencia de la pobreza en las mujeres, al hacer intersección con el eje de discriminación de género, añade nuevos ángulos al acontecimiento, ya de por sí de naturaleza desempoderante, de la pobreza.

Here is my try (which is not useful I think): Expectedly several qualitative and quantitative studies point to the fact that female poverty addes new angles to the situation as poverty as such is desempowering ina addition to the connection to gender discrimination axis.

2. oishii Senior Member

English
    Hi,

Thought I would give this a go... Maybe this attempt will help to give you direction... What about something like...?

As would be expected, several qualitative and quantitative studies point out the experience of poverty among women, that upon intersecting with the axis of gender discrimination, adds new angles to the circumstance (condition/situation etc.) of poverty, which is in itself already of a disempowering nature.

Not an easy one... hope this translation did not add to the confusion...

ciao

3. stemu Senior Member

Andalusia
    German
    Thank you, Oishii!
    This has helped me a lot to understand the phrase better. I have used your version to construct a new phrase.
    What do you and others think of this?

As would be expected, several qualitative and quantitative studies point out that female experience of poverty, as it intersects with the axis of gender discrimination, adds new angles to poverty, which already is of disempowering nature.

4. oishii Senior Member

English
    Hi..

You are welcome... glad I could be of some help.

I like your phrasing... nice... would just add a 'the' or 'a' here and there... and 'acontecimiento' seems missing no?

As would be expected, several qualitative and quantitative studies point out that the female experience of poverty, as it intersects with the axis of gender discrimination, adds new angles to the 'acontecimiento de' poverty, which already is of a disempowering nature.

Translation issues aside... I must say... it sounds like a rather interesting topic.

Ciaos

5. stemu Senior Member

Andalusia
    German
    Thank you oishii. I have completed my phrase and I am very glad because I was really stuck on it. I also find the topic very interesting and I am learning a lot by doing this translation. So I enjoy it very much, even though the style of it is quite complecated. Thank you for your help in so many ocasions.

6. psicutrinius Senior Member

Spanish / Spain
    I think it is quite clear now, due to the efforts of both oishii and stemu. However, I am afraid that the real problem is the stupid taste for supposedly cultured phrases by the author of the original.

For starters, in plain Spanish, he should have written "... al coincidir con la discriminación de género..." instead of showing off how well he knows cartesian coordinates, with axis and intersections thrown into the matter. THAT would translate as "... as the experience of poverty in women meets that of gender discrimination..." and this is clearer.

The "acontecimiento" here should be read in the sense of "event taking place", or "event happening".

I am not sure as to "disempowerment", even in English, and I suspect that this is one of the new cool, fashionable words, but since English is not my mother tongue, I leave this to the natives.

What is sure is that "desempoderar" does NOT exist in Spanish and the fellow has taken the short route, just transliterating into Spanish and creating the verb from English (that is Spanglish at its height: just add -ar to the English verb and drop the "to", and do the minimum of litteral translation for it to be pronounceable in Spanish and hop! here you are).

The word (or, rather, expression), in Spanish would be (in my view; let's see what native LINGUISTS believe):

"que ya de por sí genera impotencia".

Ah, and by the way, "índole" is FEMININE, therefore, "índole" should be "cualitativA y cuantitativA".

To cap it all. Translating the plain Spanish version into (I believe) plain English, my try is:

As would be expected, several qualitative and quantitative studies point out that the female experience of poverty, as it meets with gender discrimination, adds new angles to the fall into poverty, which already is of a disempowering nature.

Do you agree?. please let me know

7. stemu Senior Member

Andalusia
    German
    Hello psicutrinius,
    thank you for your long analysis of this phrase. Its very interesting to me to hear the opinion of a native speaker. By the way, this is written by a Spanish women who has lived for many years in London, Chile and recent years in Mexico. I dont know, whether this explains her style in any way.

I think your version is fine. The only expression I am not so sure about is "fall into." I, as a non-native in both languages, can not judge, whether your version is better or the version developed with help from oishii. But I would be very greatful if other people gave there opinion. Here are the two versions for a quick comparison:
    Please compare:
    Version of oishii and stemu:
    As would be expected, several qualitative and quantitative studies point out that the female experience of poverty, as it intersects with the axis of gender discrimination, adds new angles to the circumstances of poverty, which already is of a disempowering nature.
    Version of psicutrinius:
    As would be expected, several qualitative and quantitative studies point out that the female experience of poverty, as it meets with gender discrimination, adds new angles to the fall into poverty, which already is of a disempowering nature.

8. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hi Stemu,

A little late to appear, but, I think, in this context looks better "women experience of poverty " than "female experience of poverty "

And I like the try of psicutrinius.

As would be expected, several qualitative and quantitative studies indicates that women experience of poverty addes new angles to the situation as it meets with gender discrimination, adds new angles to the fall into poverty.

I hope helps