Intersectoriality

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Vanda, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Good day, everyone.
    This term: intersectoriality is used in government pages around here, even though it is a neologism for us. I've been trying to find it in English dicitionaries and English pages and all the references I've found so far were in Brazilian pages translated to English. My question is: has anyone already seen it outside Brazilian context? Does it make sense to an English native?

2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Well, it would be understood - vaguely - by the people who are likely to read documents containing it, though not by ordinary members of the public. I've never heard of it, but there are words such as interterritoriality and intertextuality to go by. I only know vaguely what these mean too.

3. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    What is needed is a context that explains what 'sectors' refers to. In a sentence like this one, which is clearly translated from a Brazilian original, I easily understand what 'intersectoraiality' means:

This work reflects upon the strategy of intersectoriality between varying sectors public, as defined by international conferences that promote health and primary care related issues.
    Intersectoriality: The ongoing debate or international healthcare conferences
    by Maria L.úcia Teixeira Garcia, Lucia, Garcia Professor, Brazil
    Cassiane Cominoti Abreu III University of Espírito Santo, Brazil

[The English word order would be "public sectors", not "sectors public".]

4. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Hullo Vandinha. It makes sense when you know what it means:D The thing Cagey quotes I would call cooperation* between sectors.

Unless I was writing for the kind of readership who embrace terms like intersectorality with open arms ...

... which I would never do;)

*Or collaboration, maybe.

EDIT: I've just noticed I wrote intersectorality, not intersectoriality ~ that was what came naturally. The manageable adjective sectoral is fairly respectable in English ~ sectorial feels distinctly wrong to me.

ANOTHER EDIT: The dictionary gives sectorial ... but it still sounds odd to me.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Google shares your pain. If I ask it define:sectoral, it answers:
    But if I ask it define:sectorial it winces:
    Notice that it doesn't ask me about sectorial when I ask it about sectoral.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  6. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Thanks, Mr. E, for writing far too clearly to allow words like "intersectoriality" to creep into your stuff. I hope Vanda doesn't decide to use that awful word in her English unless she absolutely can't avoid it for some reason.

7. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    It is used mainly academically and in government pages, the text aims at academics as first target, in an academic journal about Public Politics, so it does make sense for them too. An average Brazilian, correcting, a person among us who doesn't deal with this jargon wouldn't know or use the Portuguese word as well.

Thank you very much, friends.

8. billinrio Junior Member

English
    < A similar term > is used in Spanish as well. UN agencies love this jargon. As Cagey notes, you need to know the context to understand what it refers to. Typically, it can be translated as
    "collaboration between and among sectors"

< English only in English Only, please.
    Moderator.>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    The word appears in the sentence at the link given by Cagey at #3:
    "This work reflects upon the strategy of intersectorialitybetween varying sectors public" which I take to mean:
    "This work reflects upon the strategy of public sector collaboration." This would then obviate the need to define 'intersectoriality'. However, as the (poorly proofread) article continues, it is clear that the author has a lot invested in this neologism.

That said, a good translation site http://es.bab.la/diccionario/ingles-espanol/intersectoral does show the use of intersectoral in both English and Spanish.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  10. billinrio Junior Member

English

11. billinrio Junior Member

English
    It does show the use of the term in English and Spanish but showing that it is used isn't really the point, which has to do with whether is is understandable and clear in English, which is really the point when considering the suitability of a translation.

12. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    No (and, previously, not even in a Brazilian context.)
    Without the explanation, I would mark it as 4/10 for being self-explanatory, and that is unfortunate as it is supposed to be a precise term.

13. billinrio Junior Member

English
    As a translator for UN agencies, I have often encountered the term used in UN documents both in Spanish and in Portuguese, particularly in the field of education. As such, it always poses a problem for translation into English, given that it is an accepted (and apparently beloved) jargon among academics in Spanish and in Portuguese, but not in English.