1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

interval, break + preposition

Discussion in 'English Only' started by duden, Nov 11, 2007.

1. duden Senior Member

Slovak
    Hi,
    when I speak about lessons at school, shall I say there are antervals or breaks between two following lessons?
    What preposition shall I use with interval and break - in the interval and at the break, or are there some more possibilities?

e.g. In the intervals / breaks pupils can eat their snacks, because they are not allowed to eat during the lesson.

Thank you very much

2. These are usually coffee breaks and during the breaks pupils...

"Intervals" should be used when you want to indicate time which separates the classes exactly.

3. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    I agree about the use of the word "interval" (though I would prefer to say "the time between classes"), but to me in BE "break" [in the singular] is the one major interval of the morning, during which pupils will be allowed out into the playground for a reasonable time.
    I say this because the use of the word 'pupils' rather than 'students' indicates to me children in school up to the age of about 16 (who would not be given coffee in either an interval or a break!).

4. I am not sure about nowadays. They might even be given a cigarette:D Life`s changed a lot since the times when I went to school.

But, jokes apart, you are quite right, I was thinking about this because I only came back for college in England, not the primary school.