1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

'Intro'

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by dynasaur666, May 17, 2014.

1. dynasaur666 New Member

English
    Hello, thank you for your time.

I am a musician putting together my own album. A point is reached in this album where a song has been split into two; the first of which isn't really a song, and is merely a song introduction.

I don't want to give this 'intro' its own seperate identity as I feel this would be over-glorifying it; it is just a short vocal composition, and I wouldn't want listeners to get their hopes up hearing some awesome title only to find out it is really just an intro.

Therefore, 'intro' seems like the best title- however I find this a little dull, and unimaginative. So my solution is to use an English-Latin translation. The Latin language seems to exude a certain class and finesse I feel, particularly in artistic media. So i'd really just like to know the Latin word for 'intro', or 'introduction' in this musical context.

Advising me on a possibly better alternative than this word would be taking things a step further, and i would be very grateful; perhaps there is some even more fitting word for this quite specific context that exists in Latin but not in English. But even so, a simple translation would be more than enough.

.... and I bet here's the part where i find out that 'intro' is already a Latin word, haha :D .

thanks again

2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Salvete amici

praeludium, or "prelude", would be an appropriate term, sanctioned by some centuries of musical usage.

Σ

3. dynasaur666 New Member

English
    Absolutely perfect; thanks very much !