Intrusion/Penetration Resistance

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by olivinha, Oct 3, 2007.

1. olivinha Senior Member

Los Madriles
    Português, Brasil
    Good Morning.
    My question is regarding the following aeronautical terms:
    Flightdeck Intrusion Resistance
    Flightdeck Penetration Resistance
    My attempts:
    Resistencia a la Intrusión de la Plataforma de Vuelo &
    Resistencia a la Penetración de la Plataforma de Vuelo
    Thank you.
    O

2. lpfr Senior Member

Paris, France
    France, french
    Aquí puedes encontrar la traducción.
    Flightdeck es la cabina de pilotaje.

3. olivinha Senior Member

Los Madriles
    Português, Brasil
    Thanks, lpfr, I guess you are right in this context flightdeck should be cabina de pilotaje.
    Also thank you for the site but I did not find there any of terms I was looking for (I looked under resistance, under penetration and under intrusion).
    O

4. lpfr Senior Member

Paris, France
    France, french
    Here you can have others translations.
    But "intrusion" is simply "intrusión". And "penetration" is "penetración" or "penetrado".

5. olivinha Senior Member

Los Madriles
    Português, Brasil
    Hi, lpfr.
    Ok, I know their literal translation. This inquiry was to find out whether or not there are specific, Spanish, aeronautical translations for them. I am working on a JAR document (JAR-Joint Aviation Requirements), where everything has to be, you know, official. ;)
    Thx anyway.
    O

6. psicutrinius Senior Member

Spanish / Spain
    Bumped into this a bit late, for what I see. And besides I have no time (now) for coming to real grips with the exact concepts, though I believe I can bring an idea, which you will then be able to check with the wider (widest, if I may say so) context.

Wouldn't "intrusion" refer to a person slipping into (or, rather, forcing his way into) the flight deck, and penetration the actual "piercing" of the partition? ("piercing" in quite a wide sense, might be done by anything in between a stiletto and a hand grenade).

Anyway, (as usual, Olivinha...) extra context -if available- will be useful...

Y además, celebro coincidir "again". Hace tiempo ya que conseguimos montarnos una buena "nuisance"...

7. olivinha Senior Member

Los Madriles
    Português, Brasil
    Hey, P! Thanks for your reply.
    When I first posted my question, I was still working on the cover letter of the document, so that was all the context I had; however, now that I am working on the actual JAR, here's some more context:

*Parte III – Test Method to Determine Flame Penetration Resistance of Cargo Compartment Liners

*Protection of flight deck: If a flight deck doors is required by operationg rules, the door installation must be designed to:
    Resist forcible intrusion by unauthorized persons and be capable of withstanding impacts of 300 Joules...

See? As usual, you were in the right track.
    So far, I am sticking to:
    Resistencia a la Intrusión de la Cabina de Vuelo &
    Resistencia a la Penetración de la Cabina de Vuelo
    O

8. psicutrinius Senior Member

Spanish / Spain
    Uy.
    A la vista del contexto, la primera "Flame penetration resistance of cargo compartment liners": El "cargo compartment" no es la cabina de vuelo, sino la "bodega de carga" [o de flete], y el "liner" es el revestimiento interior (aislante en primer lugar) de ésta.

Además, visto que se habla de "flame penetration", sería "propagación de la llama" más bien. Pero como dicho así no queda claro si se habla de propagación "en superficie" o "en espesor", creo mejor poner "penetración de la llama", tal cual, que se refiere inequívocamente a "propagación en espesor", que creo que es exactamente lo que quieren decir en el original.

AQUÍ puedes ver el "liner" tal como está aplicado en el "passenger deck". No hay diferencia con el de los demás (cargo, etc).