inure to the benefit of the parties

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Vincent Fan, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Vincent Fan New Member

Taiwan, Chinese
    Dear Sir,
    "This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective successors, assigns and legal representatives."

I'm not sure the meaning of " and inure to the benefit of the parties" in this sentence. Can you help to explain it? Many thanks for your help.

br,

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Man, lovely legalese. Here, inure has a specific legal meaning:
    To pass into use; to take or have effect; to be applied; to serve to the use or benefit of; as, a gift of lands inures to the heirs.

3. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    You may also see it as "enure" which is, I believe, the BE spelling. All the legal docs I've seen in Canada (don't ask how many!) spell it "enure" so either way you see it, it has the meaning ascribed to it by Bibliolept.

4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español

As one is variously described as a variant of the other, this would not surprise me in the least.

5. Davenpae New Member

Winston-Salem
    English
    The phrase "inure to the benefit of" is used throughout tax law (Title 26 of the US Code) whenever there are penalties or issues with certain persons receiving benefits from a specific source. Section 501(c)(3), for example, says that a charitable organization must be operated exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, etc. purposes, and that "no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual" which means you cannot operate an exempt org in the U.S. if any part of the collected funds benefits a founder, donor, employee, administrator, etc. other than fair and reasonable salary for work done.
    I believe that in English English (Canadian as well) the word "enure" is more commonly used for this same definition, but in U.S. English, especially legalese, I find "inure" to be most common. Anne