Invest in, etc.

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, May 1, 2010.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    People in-vest [time and/ money] in things. They put things in clothes, I believe, literally, or no, they clothe in. But In Dutch we have alternatives for that :

0. We investeren (tijd en geld) in X (clothe in).
    1. We besteden tijd en geld aan X (lit. we give a place/ a stead to to (= aan)).
    2. We beleggen in X (lay money in, I believe, as in shares, for examples).

(ad 2. We placeren geld (only in my dialect: we invest money, by putting it down, at one safe place, so I interpret it literally --- but here we cannot 'placeren in' - for some reason I cannot guess)

What can you say in your language? Please don't forget the preposition or the case (for the Fins, Hungarians, Estonians).
  2. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    In Portuguese: investir em algo (to invest in something).
  3. bibax Senior Member

investovati (peníze/čas/kapitál) do - from Latin investire (to clothe), hence the noun investice (< investitio) and a spec. hist. term investitura

verbs of Slavic origin:

vložiti (or uložiti) do = to put in, to insert in (ležeti = to lie)
    umístiti do = to place in (místo = a place)

v, u, do = in, into
  4. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek:
    To invest is επενδύω-epen'ðio.
    And we invest «σε» (se) things.
    The modern preposition «σε» derives from the ancient «εἰς» (eis) which in medieval times became «εἰσε» (eise) due to the open transition made with the initial «ἐ-» (e-) of the 1st person objective pronoun «ἐμὲ» (e'me): εἰς ἐμὲ-->εἰσεμὲ-->εἰσε μὲ. Ultimately, «σε με» (se me), following the omission of the initial unstressed vowel(s) (a common phenomenon in Greek). In English it could be translated as "into"
  5. phosphore Senior Member

investirati u (+acc.)=to invest (money) in

ulagati/uložiti u (+acc.)=to invest (time or money) in
    related to leći=to lay, ležati=to lie
  6. Natalisha Senior Member

In Russian:

Инвестировать в [investiravat' v] - to invest in
    Вкладывать в (imperf.) / вложить в (perf.) [vkladyvat' v / vlazhit' v] - to put into
  7. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

In Turkish: yatırım yapmak (used with Dative)

Yatırım is the noun form of the verb: yatırmak, which litterally means: to lay something down.
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  8. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    So: only in Greek is a reference to clothes used?

The reference to laying seems to most common, but maybe someone could go into the Russian word Вкладывать a little more. Is putting laying here or something else?

I am just wondering: if you simply think of spending time on something, which I think can often be considered a near-synonym, do you get something else? Of course it seems like losing money, 'giving it out', but with us it would be a near-synonym.
  9. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Oh, how interesting!

1. befektet [be- = like the German ein- + fektet = like the German legen]
    2. beruház [be + ruház < ruha (clothes)]
    3. invesztál

In all cases we use valamit + valamibe [accusative + illative case]
  10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks. Maybe our Finnish/ Estonian friends will be in-vesting as well...
  11. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

You Finnish friend has indeed been investing. Still, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but now I cannot find it. ;)
  12. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    But maybe you could just mention the translation again? ;-) (And good morning to you)
  13. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

14. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Sorry for the off topic, but ruha for clothes is probably of Slavic origin isn't it? Because in colloquial Greek too, «ρούχα» ('ruxa, pl., n.)-->clothes (cloth is ρούχο-ruxo, sing., n.), and is definitely a Slavic/Slavonic loanword.
  15. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

English - Australian
    Can we perhaps make the connection between επενδύω and the Greek word ένδυμα - dress, suit, including ενδυμασία - costume, dress?
  16. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I paste Sakvaka's answers below, because they are very interesting indeed. Alas, no reference to clothes ;-)

invest (econ.)
    X sijoittaa rahan projektiin. - sijoittaa (53-C) - "to place"
    X investoi rahan vaatteisiin. - investoida (62) - just a borrowing
    X omistaa rahan vaatteisiin. - omistaa (53) - "to dedicate"
    X panee/laittaa rahan vaatteisiin. - panna (67), laittaa (56-C) - "to put"

2) spend on
    X käyttää rahaa vempaimiin. - käyttää (53-C) - "to use"
    X kuluttaa rahaa vempaimiin. - kuluttaa (53-C) - kulu means: "an expense", but it can probably be traced to the word kulku (a motion)

So only Slavic languages and Latin seem to associate money and clothes, except perhaps if Shawnee's suggestion appears to be true...
  17. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Exactly, the Hungarian ruha is of Slavic origin, too.
  18. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

The key verb here is «δύω» ('ðio)-->PIE *deus: "to sink, dive".
    Preposition «ἐν» (en: in, into) + «δύω» ('ðio)--> «ἐνδύω» (en'ðio)=> "to wear, put on clothes", lit. "to dive into clothes". In passive voice «ἐνδύομαι» (en'ðiome): "to be clothed in".
    Preposition «ἐπὶ» (e'pi: upon, in addition) + «ἐνδύω» (en'ðio)->ἐπενδύω.
    Preposition «κατὰ» (ka'ta: down from, down to) + «δύω» ('ðio)-->καταδύω (kata'ðio)=> "to go down, plunge into". In Passive voice «καταδύομαι» (kata'ðiome): "to dive" (into the sea, bed etc)
    Note: I'm using the modern Greek pronunciation
  19. Orlin Banned

Bulgarian has both the international biaspectual verb инвестирам (пари) в ... and the Slavic (да) вложа(perf.)/влагам (imperf.) (пари, време) в ...
  20. Natalisha Senior Member

Both verbs to put and to lay can be translated as класть (as always, the translation depends on the context).
    In this particular case the meaning of the verb вкладывать в is closer to the meaning of the English verb to put into.
  21. bibax Senior Member

In Czech the verbs vložiti (perf.) and vkládati (imperf.) form the aspectual pair. The same for uložiti/ukládati.

It is an example when the aspectual pair is formed by verbs with different roots (ležeti = to lie; klásti = to lay).
  22. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I am not sure I can follow here, but I believe those positional verbs (put, lie, stand, sit, ...) are the most difficult aspects of a language.