Invitation for dinner, or for a party.

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Cosmas1, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Cosmas1 Senior Member

Hey all,

How would one refer to an invitation for a dinner or a formal event like a cocktail party to honor a distinguished guest?

Thank you.
  2. GreekNative Senior Member

Greek - Greece
    Hi Cosmas,

how do you mean "refer to an invitation"? Is it the word "invitation" you're looking for?
    If that's the case, "πρόσκληση" is the appropriate word, which is as generic as its english counterpart.
  3. Cosmas1 Senior Member

Invitation to a formal event. Meaning a dinner party to honor someone. Would it be "προσκληση σε μια δεξιωση για τον Κυριο Δημητρἰου..."? Does "δεξιωση" apply to a large formal event? Would it apply to a small dinner party to honor someone?

Thank you.
  4. Cosmas1 Senior Member

I guess what I'm asking is how would you say: "You are invited to a dinner to honor Mr. Demetriou." The dinner is small (two other couples) so I'm not sure if we should call it a δεξίωση or a δείπνο. But the question is -- how would we phrase the "You are invited"?

Εισαστε καλεσμενε σε ενα δειπνο για τον Κ. Δημητριου.

Θελουμε να σας καλεσουμε σε ένα δειπνο...

Thank you.
  5. GreekNative Senior Member

Greek - Greece
    "Προσκληση σε μια δεξιωση για τον Κυριο Δημητρἰου..." is correct Greek. Its use, though, to sound natural, depends on where you intend to use it (i.e. do you plan to use the while speaking to someone, or will you write it on the invitation envelope, etc).

As for δεξίωση, it means "reception"; so you can use it safely for a big formal event; even for a smaller one, as long as it's formal. But a small dinner party to honour someone, as you say, sounds a bit more intimate and then I would use the word "τραπέζι", as in "Θα κάνω ένα τραπέζι για...".
  6. Cosmas1 Senior Member

Thank you. That's the word I was looking for-- τραπἐζι! I really appreciate it.
  7. GreekNative Senior Member

Greek - Greece
    I just saw your last post. So, you can say the following: "Θα ήθελα να σας καλέσω/προσκαλέσω σε ένα τραπέζι που κάνω, για τον κύριο Δημητρίου". Τραπέζι does not specify the time of the day (lunch or dinner) but it's the most natural word to use in this context. So, you will have to specify the time by adding something; i.e. "Θα ήθελα να σας καλέσω / προσκαλέσω σε ένα τραπέζι που κάνω το Σάββατο το βράδυ, για τον κύριο Δημητρίου". If Mr Demetriou is a really honourable person, or if your visitors are, then you can also use the more formal and "rigid" expression "..., προς τιμήν του κυρίου Δημητρίου".