Io ti penso sempre/Ti penso sempre

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by jinglebella, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jinglebella Senior Member

England, English
    I just wondered if there was a difference in the above two phrases. Don't they both mean 'I think of you always'? I'm just interested to know if one is more gramatically correct than the other. Is the 'Io' really necessary or does it in fact change the meaning of the phrase in some way?

Grazie mille!
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. Alan7075

Alan7075 Senior Member

It is not necessary in general but using it is not an error.

It could be used to add emphasis or to specify that it is "I" and not someone else who is thinking of you.

Marco ti tratta male mentre io ti penso sempre - Marco treats you badly while I constantly think of you

In that case I would expect that io because it emphasizes the fact that I think of you whilst Marco doesn't.

Not using it gives the sentence another meaning:
    Marco ti tratta male mentre ti penso sempre - While I am thinking of you Marco treats you badly.

Hope it helps.

Ciao Ciao
  3. ConusMagus

ConusMagus Senior Member

Milano environs
    Both are correct, buth the second one has more emphasis. In italian you don't have to put mandatory the subject in the phrase...

4. jinglebella Senior Member

England, English
    That's very useful, thank you both very much!
  5. luetin New Member

Hi everybody,

I am not sure whether in the following context "sempre" means always or still? It would be important to know the exact meaning...:)

"Ciao, come stai? Io ti penso sempre! Tu mi pensi?"

Thanks in advance!
  6. MünchnerFax

MünchnerFax Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    However, there is a small chance that it might mean still, although it wouldn't be common (we would use ancora). The best way is to ask him/her directly. ;)
  7. luetin New Member

Actually, it makes much more sense to me this way... :p ;) Though you're right I should ask him.. :cool:

Is there any rule when to use sempre vs. ancora when one would like to say still? Or there is no difference at all.
  8. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)