Irish: Amadán, eejit

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Valmar, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Valmar Junior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina - Spanish
    Hello, friends!

It is the first time I post in this forum, but for a few years now, I have had this burning doubt in the back of my mind. In a book I read (sorry, I don't have it with me and I don't remember the name), an Irish girl called and American man an "amadon" and an "eejit". I have an idea of what the last term might mean, but I would appreciate confirmation, together with the meaning of the first term.

Thanks all of you.

Valmar

2. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    both mean simpleton or idiot.

3. Valmar Junior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina - Spanish
    Thank you soooo much!

4. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Dia daoibh,
    A bit late, I know, for the original poster ; but since this is a language forum, I felt a more complete answer might be of general use.

:idea: Firstly, for what it's worth : the use of accents is not optional in Irish. So while it's common to see Irish words reproduced by English publishers without the accents, as above ; here on the forums it best to include them.
    If like me you don't have them readily accessible on your keyboard, then these may be useful : broad vowels ( á, ó, ú) & slender ones (é, í )
    However I do not believe "eejit" is an Gaelic Irish word, but rather a loan word from either English or perhaps French « idiot » used as slang when speaking English in Ireland.
    (I suggest a French origin, as the imitation of the French pronunciation renders closely the form used in Ireland.)

Slán go fóill,

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    I don't think it comes from French.
    The French word idiot is pronounced /idjo/.

I'd say it's from English.
    It sounds to me that the d has been "softened" in the typical Gaelic way.
    Rather like radio becomes raidió in Irish.

6. L'irlandais

Hello Brioche,
    Thanks for the reply.
    et pour une fille ça donne [idjɔt] - I must be mispronouncing this in French. ~shrug~Oh well can't be good at everything.
    I think you may have got a point there.

7. jamesosullivan Junior Member

Republic of Ireland
    UK English
    In my Irish of West Kerry raidió is prounounced with just a strong a d as in the english radio...?

8. I just figured I'd ask you if it was Irish Gold that you were reading because this girl has called that man that at LEAST a hundred times already. *giggles* It's a really good book. Just wanted to know if it was from the same one I'm reading right now...

9. Bizarrissime Senior Member

Californie
    français & English
    Hello all...
    With respect to the book "Irish Gold", yes, it is by un certain M. Greeley, part of a series of books. With respect to "eejit", it is a "spelling pronunciation", as we call it in linguistics. The "-ji" in the word represents an attempt to spell accurately the way paople pronounce the word, just as the latter portion of "Acadian" has ended up being spelled/pronounced in English as "Cajun".

10. redrider12 New Member

english
    Irish Gold: A Nuala Anne McGrail Novel . Written by Andrew M. Greely

11. L'irlandais

Idiot (etymology) came to English from the Old French word idiote "uneducated or ignorant person" (12c.)