Irish: Mo mhuirnín

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Tormenta, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Tormenta

Tormenta Senior Member

Any Irish out there? Well, I think it's Irish; can anyone tell me the meaning of : mo mhuirnin

I really hope this is not a bad word and I am not embarrassing myself, but I really need to know what it means :eek: :eek:

Many thanks,

2. Focalist Senior Member

European Union, English
    No need to be embarrassed, T.
    Mo mhuirnín (<- notice the accent, called fada in irish) simply means "my darling, my sweetheart, my beloved". It is sometimes seen in anglicized spelling as "mavourneen".

3. Tormenta

Tormenta Senior Member

Thank you so much, F.

" my darling, my sweetheart, my beloved" You are right, no need to be embarrassed ;)

I had the feeling you spoke Irish.You are so talented; I am very grateful for all your help. :)

4. badger

badger Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Ireland, English speaker
    Hi F
    its in the lyrics of an old song I think, could be john McCormack.

Caithleen Mavourneen............
    or something like that.

I'll have to rack my brains now to find this.

oops almost forgot...Hi Tormenta

Badg. :)
  5. Lil_Mischif New Member

See if this is the song you were thinking of;
    "Siuil a Ruin" - youtube . com/watch?v=XhYdOQwB5DQ&list=PL7D2BF56657F6A199&index=8&feature=plpp_video (Sorry, I can't post it as a link. Just remove the extra spaces to try the link. If you find the right one, it has English translations for the Gaelic [sp?])
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  6. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hi badger, John McCormack - Kathleen Mavourneen (1919) can be found on Youtube.

Muirn = affection, tenderness + ín (diminutive) = muirnín
    The adjective muirneach captures the sentiment well : meaning - affectionate, loving or caressing.

Dear Lil_Mischif,
    Welcome to the forums. :)
    Delighted to see more folks interested in the Irish language.
    Siúil a Rún (not wishing to be pedantic, seriously accents are not optional in Irish.), literally means (something like) "Go, my love."

Rún has previously cropped up, in this other discussion. A term of endearment, only not quite the same...