irse a pique /irse al pique

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by trickybilly, Jul 17, 2013.

1. trickybilly New Member

Hungarian
    Hi,
    first of all I am really happy that I joined these forums, lots of useful material and nice people. I am autodidact in Spanish which I learn for more than 3 years every day. My question is:

In Spanish why "irse a pique" instead of "irse al pique". Since:
    a+el=al.
    irse + a+ el garete= irse al garete
    irse+a+el pique= irse a pique - Why? Why not "irse al pique"?

I've googled this for hours before I asked here, if the answer is up somewhere, sorry.

I hope I'll be able to contribute too in these forums with my native Hungarian, native level Serbian and Croatian knowledge. :)

Best wishes, trickybilly

2. echinocereus Senior Member

English United States
    Hi, Trickybilly, Welcome to WR. I wasn't acquainted with the expression "irse a pique" and went to the WR dictionary and read the entries. You will find a lot of information there. You know, there are some expressions in a language that just have to be memorized and it may be that this is one of them and that native speakers simply use "irse a pique" without the article. Perhaps one of our Spanish speakers can give you an explanation. I repeat - Welcome to WR. :)

3. irland5 Senior Member

spain spanish
    Hi,
    Exactly the correct expression is `` irse a pique´´ . The reason is because ``irse a pique´´ is a made spanish expression.
    I hope I have helped you :=)

4. nocturnoinvernal

nocturnoinvernal Senior Member

Saludos.
    Porque la la expresión española es "irse a pique". Suena por demás extraña "irse al pique". Son expresiones que ya están establecidas y aunque uno quisiera cambiarlas, pues no se podrá tan fácil.

5. Keahi Senior Member

España
    castellano, Perú
    Yo creo que es porque "pique" no es un lugar, es la forma como se desarrolla un evento.
    Irse a pique, hundirse un barco (muy rápido), caer en bancarrota (repentinamente), derribar (o caer) un edificio (muy rápido).
    El término es marino y significa hundir un barco (sink a ship), pero se usa mucho para indicar la caída estrepitosa de algo o alguien en desgracia, o su caída, derribo o hundimiento literalmente.
    Los equivalentes en inglés que más he escuchado son:
    Sink a ship, come to grief, bite the dust, come unstuck, go bust, etc.
    Como siempre espero que me puedan corregir si me he equivocado.
    Un abrazo.

6. slahaye Senior Member

Asunción, Paraguay
    English/Spanish
    creo que tienes razon. Pique no es un lugar, por lo tanto no se usa al.