1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Isännyys velvoittaa ystävällisyys valloittaa

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by infotun, Oct 22, 2012.

1. infotun New Member

frensh
    Hi,

I would like to translate to Swedish French text of a stamp issued on the occasion of the 1952 Olympic games in Helsinki.

(ISANNYYS VELVOITTAA YSTAVALLISYYS)

Thank you

2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    What you have posted is Finnish, not Swedish.
    What is "Swedish French"? If you want it translated to Swedish then I think you should use the Finnish forum for translations to/from Finnish.

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    The quote is incomplete (and misspelled): the full version is,

Isännyys velvoittaa, ystävällisyys valloitaa.

Loose translation: "Hospitality obliges, friendship conquers."

I don't know enough Swedish to provide a good Swedish translation of this phrase, but the full phrase to be translated is above.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  4. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Can we really translate "isännyys" as "hospitality"? To me, isännyys means 'the act of being the organizer (of an important international event)'. Similary: Helsinki isännöi vuoden 1952 kesäolympialaisia.

I'd prefer something more like Being the organizer/arranger obliges...

5. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    True -- the problem is that English has no single word (at least none that I can think of) corresponding exactly to isännyys, and all the phrases that came to mind as translations ("being a host", etc.) sounded very awkward/clumsy in the context of a slogan on a postage stamp.

Therefore, I chose the word "hospitality", thinking that it might convey the relevant sense of isännyys (relevant in this context, that is) even though it isn't an exact translation. But perhaps it fails to do this.

So yes, "Being the host/organizer obliges, friendship conquers" is an accurate translation, but if I was trying to provide an English version of the original slogan (i.e., something that would work as a slogan in English), I would look for another way to phrase it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  6. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I thought the original poster was looking for a translation to Swedish when I wrote this, but then I saw he/she had posted another message (to the Nordic Languages forum) that already contained the Swedish translation of the phrase.

I still don't quite understand the initial post, but I think the original poster might have been looking for a translation into French instead. I'll leave that translation up to the other forum participants, since French is not my strongest language.