1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Is 'いつもお世話になっております' correct when introducing yourself?

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by almondblossom, Jul 8, 2013.

1. almondblossom New Member

English
    Hi everyone,

I am meeting with a Japanese (potential) client soon. I work for a marketing agency in England, and they are coming to visit us; this is the first time we are meeting. Because I used to live in Japan, and because I have studied Japanese, my bosses would like me to say a few words in Japanese to make the clients feel at home. Although I speak everyday Japanese, I have not had a lot of experience with business language so I have been studying some business phrases (for general self-introduction, welcoming them to the company etc.).

I thought a good introduction would be:

いつもお世話になっております。「my name」と申します。どうぞよろしくおねがいします。

Is this the correct way to use いつもお世話になっております? Technically, we have not yet received their patronage (we are pitching to them), so is it inappropriate in this situation?

Is the rest of the introduction ok? I would like to include my job title - but I am not sure how to say it. I am a junior in the strategy department - would I use 戦略?

If you have any other tips for speaking to Japanese clients, I would greatly appreciate it - I am very anxious about my business Japanese and I have been frantically looking up potential phrases to use when greeting, saying goodbye etc.

2. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    If it is your very first time meeting them and have not done any deals yet, then you might not say ”いつもお世話になっております" which is an expression used for those who are already in deal with. Better way may be ”このたびはどうもお世話になります" instead.

There are quite a few departments using 戦略課, but as you can see by googling the word, it is usually accompanied by other words such as 販売戦略課 or 国際戦略課 or 交通戦略課. 戦略課 itself is rather new name for such department, but I cannot really say so for sure since I've been away from Japanese offices.

As for your job title, please refer to http://www.rondely.com/zakkaya/dic2/titl.htm
    Not really sure what "junior" is in Japanese for the title you have, but possibly 担当(たんとう)? which just means someone in charge of the job at the department, but not a big title as chief or manager. You may want to talk to your superiors about the Japanese title, showing what they have.

I'm not really sure what kind of tips you are looking for, and that may be explained better by non-natives who have dealt with Japanese companies before.
    One thing I can think of is that you would probably want to prepare some souvenirs (omiyage, does not have to be too fancy, just for the omiyage-sake, for a rememberance) for them to take back home and give them when you tell them goodbye and say 気持ちばかりですが、どうぞこちらをお持ちください(or こちらをどうぞ・・・you don't have to complete your sentence and just tone it down to go humble by not saying お持ちください).

wishing you a good luck ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013