Is "my another friend" accepted in English language?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bigsky888, Jan 26, 2013.

1. bigsky888 Junior Member

Hello, another ordinary day(Beijing Time). Can I say " My another friend is Li Lei " ? I feel the sentence is just a little bit awkward. Maybe "Another friend of mine" is better. Many thanks if you can give me some help.
  2. london calling Senior Member

Hello.:) No you can't say that.;) Another friend of mine is Li Lei is much better. ;)

Sorry, I've just realised I'm misleading you here. Li Lei is another friend of mine is what you mean, I think. Another friend of mine is (called) Li Lei is slightly different: it puts the emphasis on the name, not on the fact that he/she's your friend.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. bigsky888 Junior Member

I really appreciate your help!
  4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I agree with london calling's revision.

>Can I say "<-My another friend is Li Lei "<-?

You certainly shouldn't, it's an abuse of 'another'.

A: I'm going swimming with my friend Richard.
    B: Good idea, Richard swims like a fish.
    A: Then I'm going to visit Li Lei in Beijing.
    B: Who is Li Lei?
    A: Li Lei is another friend of mine.
    B: Wow! You're really popular. Who else do you know?
    A: Another friend of mine is Pam. She's building a gazebo.
  5. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Hullo, bigsky.

Another friend of mine is Li Lei vs Li Lei is another friend of mine.

1. In a sentence one can normally distinguish two parts: in the first the speaker establishes what he is talking about and in the second he says something about it. I shall call the former "theme" (or topic) and the latter "rheme" (or comment)
    2. The tonic element is the part of the sentence which carries "new" information — the rest is "given". The " unmarked" order (i.e., the one which is most normal, the one that can be expected in ordinary circumstances in most European languages) is given + new.
    3. In many languages — among them English — the unmarked order of the elements of a sentence is subject + predicate.

Consequently it is normal in English for the subject to be thematic (what the speaker talks about) and given (what is assumed to be accessible to the hearer from the context), and for the predicate to be rhematic (what the speaker says about the subject) and new (what the hearer is not supposed to know already).
    In other terms, an unmarked sentence in English usually answers the question "What did the subject do?", and not "Who did the action expressed by the predicate?."

In the case of our two competing sentences, whilst Another friend of mine is Li Lei answers the question " Who is another friend of yours?", Li Lei is another friend of mine answers the question " Who is Li Lei?"

In order to focus on the name Li Lei in the sentence Li Lei is another friend of mine one could stress (= have the peak of the intonation curve coincide with) Li Lei, thus: Li LEI is another friend of mine, which conveys the same information as Another friend of mine is Li Lei .
    As you can see the tonic "accompanies" the linguistic element wherever it goes...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
    You are right: no noun can be qualified by both an article (a/an/the) and a possessive pronoun (my, your, his, her, its, their). The "an" at the beginning of "another" qualifies as an article for this purpose.