is open/is opened

Discussion in 'English Only' started by simonaj, Nov 19, 2006.

1. simonaj Senior Member

italian, Italy
    1)The shop is open.
    2)The shop is opened.
    Is there a difference between "is open" and "is opened"? Or are they interchangebly?
    Thank you.:)
  2. mytwolangs Senior Member

English United States
    "opened" is the past participle of "open"
    So yoiu would want to say "the shop has opened"

Will open - future
    Open - present
    Has opened - past

BUT, in this case - Both "The shop is open" and "The shop has opened" imply the same idea, which is "Time to go shopping".
  3. jesusguime Banned

I wonder why it's not good to say "The shop is opened (by someone)" since it's the passive mood." If it's in the active mood, is it wrong to say "the shop is opened?" I doubt it because it's right to say "he is gone" and "he has gone." Could someone clear up my doubt? Thanks.
  4. lrosa Senior Member

English - Ireland
    You can say "The shop is opened" but only if it's a habitual action. As in: "The shop is opened up at 7 o'clock each morning by one of our staff."

If you want another way of saying "The shop is open", you can also say "The shop has been opened."

You can say "He is gone" instead of "He has gone" because "gone" here functions as an adjective.
  5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    There's no problem with "The shop is opened (by someone)"
    The shop is opened at 8am by the manager.:tick:
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
  7. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Can I use the following interchangeably?

1) The shop wasn't open yesterday.
    2) The shop didn't open yesterday.

Thanks! :)
  8. velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    There doesn't seem to be much difference, though maybe in (2) you were expecting the shop to be open and it failed to open. Sentence (1) sounds somewhat more matter-of-fact. Perhaps yesterday was Sunday and that shop never opens on Sunday anyway.