Is there an accent on "veintiun"?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by nubzilla, Jun 8, 2005.

1. nubzilla Junior Member

USA, English
    Is there an accent on the word "veintiun" as in this example?

veintiun millones seiscientos mil siete

Thanks a bunch.

2. Whisky con ron Senior Member

Scotland
    Venezuela / Español
    Yes. Veintiún. Words with the stress in the last syllable and ending in "n", "s" or a vowel have a written accent. Adiós. Veintiún. Televisión. Comeré. Amanecerá.

Words with the stress in the second to last syllable and ending in a consonant (except n or s) take a written accent as well (note this is the opposite as the previous rule).

Words with the stress in the antepenultim (?) syllable always have accent.

These rules ensure that written Spanish is always fonetic with regards to accents.

3. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    Hace poco había un hilo sobre este tema. Y Super Chica escribió:

Mira http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=4336&highlight=penultimate para ver más.

4. Whisky con ron Senior Member

Scotland
    Venezuela / Español
    Yes, I just wasn't sure that "antepenultimate" was a word in english. I've looked it up now. Cheers.

5. supercrom Banned

Cercado de Lima, Lima, Perú
    Homo peruvianus, practising AE n' learning BE
    There is an accent mark on veintiún.

Look at this:

seis, dos, tres (only one syllable, no accent on them)
    but veintiséis, veintidós, veintitrés (more than one syllable).

Supercrom

6. Pehuen New Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Si te interesa, la regla es que llevan acento escrito todas las palabras agudas terminadas en N y S o vocal
    The rule is: they hava an accent all the words ending with N, S or vocal (a, e, i, o, u)
    Bye:)
    Pehuen

7. rammerm New Member

USA, English
    How about if it's an hiato? How are the accent rules determined if an diptongo, triptongo or hiato is involved? Thanks in advance for your help.

8. Rayines Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano/Argentina
    Hola: Se le llama diptongo a la unión de dos vocales diferentes en una misma sílaba: para que dos vocales formen diptongo es necesario que una de ellas sea débil (i-u) y átona, es decir, sin acento. Ejemplos: huer-to; cie-lo; con-clu-sión.
    Hay hiato cuando hay tilde sobre una de las vocales del diptongo. Ejemplos: tí-o; ví-a; tra-ve-sí-a.
    En vein-ti-ún hay ejemplo de diptongo (1ra. sílaba) y de hiato. (ti-ún).

9. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    See the rules of Spanish spelling here (in Spanish).

10. rammerm New Member

USA, English
    Wow, thank guys. This is very in depth. Couldn't ask for anything better or more official.

11. PSIONMAN

PSIONMAN Senior Member

Nottingham, UK
    Br English
    I have heard the rule descibed as the 'NOSE' rule, because 'NOSE' conatine the letters N, S and vowels - it always helps me remember :)

12. Rayines Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano/Argentina
    Hallo, rammerm; I'm not sure about what you're asking for. Just in case, I've prepared this:

Words in Spanish, depending on the accents, may be "agudas" (when accentuated in the last syllabe: with a written accent if they finish in "n", "s", or a "vowel"). Then, whenever you see a word with a written accent in the last syllabe, you must pronounce it with the accent there: "café", "canción", "después". Every other word that hasn't a written accent, but that doesn't finish with "n", "s" or a "vowell", is also "aguda" : "saltar", "pared", "azul".

"Graves" are nearly most of words in Spanish: all those words that are accentuated in the penultimate syllabe, with a written accent only if they don't finish in "n", "s", or a "vowell" : "útil", "néctar", "había" (this last finishes with a vowell, but here you have a "hiato"). And every other word that hasn't written accent and doesn't finish in "n" , "s" or "a vowell", is "grave": mapa, mesa, vienen, voces.

"Esdrújulas" are those words that are accentuated -always with a written accent, then you can recognize them- in the antepenultimate syllabe: brújula, cámara, líquido, ángulo.

13. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Rammerm asked about the accentuation rules when there are hiatuses, diphtongs and triphtongs. See this.

14. Pehuen New Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Sí, se escribe: veintún

15. Pehuen New Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Gracias, fue mi primer paso en el foro!:)

16. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    :confused:
    Te has dejado cosas en el camino:
    Veintiún.

17. Pehuen New Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Sí, lo lamento:(
    Gracias por marcarlo.
    Pehuén