Is there another way to say "My major is ....."

Discussion in 'English Only' started by roniy, Mar 2, 2006.

1. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    I have heared another way to say that but I can't recall how

Does anyone know what I mean ???

Thanks.

2. En bons termes Member

Canada French
    "I'm majoring in", maybe?

3. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    ohhh probably that ....
    Thanks alot

4. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    I'm working towards a <degree name> degree.
    I'm studying <field>.

5. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    My concentration is...
    I am concentrating in...
    My specialization is...
    I am specializing in...

6. DAH

DAH Senior Member

Los Angeles
    USA/California--English
    Might say: I'm earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy. I'm working towards a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering.

Or if you are in graduate school: I'm working towards a Master of Arts degree in History, with a specialization in early-modern European history.

7. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    Would anyone actually say "of arts" or "of science"? In spoken language, it might seem somehwhat stuffy or pretentious? And I think many people would omit the "bachelor's" too. Unless it's a Masters or PhD, we (AE) tend to assume a 4 year bachelor's degree.

I'm earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy. I'm working towards a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering.

Although many people WOULD say:

I'm working towards a BSME, especially to other students or colleagues who would know what a BSME means.

8. Nervren New Member

Greek - Greece
    10 years later... I also want to say something like that but can't find the exact words.
    In Greece we say, in exact translation, "My object is...", witch is a more general version of "My major is...", meaning that this is what I do. And its not strictly related to studies or indicates skill. It can be anything that describes someones main attribute.

e.g. "My object is fishing" (in Greek) can mean I know many stuff about fishing or I am an expert or professional fisherman or I just like it very much (more loosely or jokingly).

Is there a similar phrase in English?

9. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    it depends enormously on whether you are speaking of the British system of university education (where you study only one subject), or the American system, where you study multiple subjects, but have a particular concentration in one.

10. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    These are terms that you can use to explain what your area of special interest is:
    general words for areas of study interest or activity - synonyms and related words | Macmillan Dictionary

For example, we may talk of our "field of research" or our "field of interest".

Informally, and when talking about beloved hobbies like fishing, we might say "I'm very much into fishing". Also informally, in conversation we can say "I'm a chemical engineer, and I'm working on.......(insert area of special interest)......"

11. Nervren New Member

Greek - Greece